Raster data disappears when georeferencing and I turn on auto adjust

08-03-2013 02:32 PM
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III
I'm trying to georeference a tif file (no spatial data but showing township-range-sections) against a NAD 83 t-r-s map I have for the same area. Everything is fine until I turn on auto adjust. If I turn it on before selecting control points, my tif image disappears at the 2nd control point. If I first establish some control points (say 2 - 4) and then turn on auto adjust, the tif image then disappears (even when my RMS error is shown as very low).

Any ideas/suggestions? I don't know if this is a problem with what I'm doing or a corrupted file issue.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III
More info: it appears that when I turn on auto adjust, the raster image shifts wildly. If I zoom to the raster layer it reappears but nowhere near the reference map. It's as though the control points are being wildly misread, even though the RMS displayed after turning on auto adjust aren't bad.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Dan
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Consider the coordinate systems you have in the map document. Ideally, you should have one reference raster in the coordinate system you are trying to put the unreferenced file.  Any combination of multiple coordinate systems or particularly if the data frame and the target coordinate system are wildly different.
0 Kudos
JordanHale
New Contributor
Are you placing all of your initial control points along the same "vector"? In other words, could you connect them with a single straight line? If you are, try placing your first points according to locations on the raster map that a) are as far away from each other as possible and b) are not in a straight line.
0 Kudos
JordanHale
New Contributor
Sorry, I just saw this post, it looks like others are having the same issue...
0 Kudos