"Hide fields" or "Show fields" doesn't update the attribute table in ArcMap

4874
3
01-22-2015 12:56 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm using ArcMap 10.2 for Desktop (10.2.0.3348). Sometimes when I use the Fields tab of the Layer Properties and change which fields I want to be visible, my changes aren't reflected in the Attribute table in ArcMap. I have to remove and add the layer to ArcMap again for it to work properly. I have had this happen on both point feature classes, tables in SDE databases, tables with joins etc. This has also happened to some of my colleagues, using ArcMap 10.1.

I couldn't find anything about this in the Knowledge base, so I'm just wondering if this is a known bug?

- Turid

PS: Is there a Space for ArcMap or ArcGIS Desktop? I am completely lost on this site and couldn't find one. Any pointers would be welcome...

Reply
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry but I tried to reproduce this in 10.1 and 10.3 and in both cases when I have my attribute table open and enter the properties of the layer, switch a column off and press apply, it directly turns off in the table. Also when the attribute table is closed and I do the same and open the attribute table the changes are reflected in my table. I tried this with File geodatabase featureclasses and an point featureclass residing in a SDE database.

Not sure if it works well with joins and perhaps relationsship classes.

There is no ArcMap space, since it is a very wide topic. The one you choose is probably the closest to what you are looking for,

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for trying to reproduce the error. The error occurs intermittently, not every time i show/hide fields in the attribute table. I haven't found a failsafe way to reproduce it yet, unfortunately.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the Spaces as well!

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III

I have had this happen too. As in your case, it was not every time. I never noticed anything I did or didn't do differently than normal when the problem occurred. I assumed it was just a glitch and circumvented it by repeating the process 1-2 times. Similar to when I make a selection in a layer, export it to a new layer, open the new layer, double-check it looked okay, go to properties and symbolize, go back to the attribute table and discover all records from the original layer were present.