I just installed 64-bit geoprocessing and wanted to test one of my custom Python-based ArcTools for converting polygons to a geodatabase raster. The ArcTool works fine in foreground, but fails when the background processing option is selected.
The failure occurs on the line where I am using a Con statement with FocalStatistics to create a temporary raster. The GDAL driver tries but fails to create a temporary grid (g_g02) under "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\bin64". I don't have permissions to write in that directory and would prefer it be put somewhere else even if I did.
I made sure that I have my system environmental variables for TEMP,TMP and ARCTMPDIR all set to "E:\Temp" and my scratchworkspace setting is "E:\Temp\scratch.gdb". I also checked to make sure that the input raster for FocalStatistics does exist and doesn't have any problems. All my input and output data are being stored on local drives.
I'm not sure that I can call this truly solved, but as a workaround, I found that if I converted "E:\Temp" to an ArcInfo workspace with INFO directory, the polygon to raster conversion seems to work fine.