Problems with exporting raster image to jpeg/tiff format

02-02-2014 06:03 PM
AileenLuu
New Contributor
I have a georeferenced aerial image that I have clipped through 'Data Management' -> 'Raster' -> 'Raster Processing' -> 'Clip' process on ArcMap. I have then tried to export the image as a jpeg and tiff format through right clicking on the raster layer and clicking on 'Data' -> 'Export data'. However the jpeg and tiff images that have been exported, whilst is the clipped version of the image, the areas in which I have clipped away are now black.

Is there a way that I could export the image without having the black areas (that had been clipped away)?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
The output tiff / jpeg is a 3 band RGB image and has no specific coding for "no data".
The best you can do is use the raster symbology page to set 0, 0, 0 to be transparent.
Sadly, in my version of your image, this doesn't get rid of all the black edges. It might do on your original however.
Cheers,
Neil
0 Kudos
AileenLuu
New Contributor
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention previously that I had tried to do the raster symbology process.
I did that to the clipped image and also for the output image and clicked on 'Apply' but I am still getting the same result.
Attached are my output files.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
If you use the pixel inspector (search in help, but its in the raster category in customize, commands), you can see that those dark pixels along the edge are not quite black (0, 0, 0). Without knowing how the image got like this, its very difficult to comment further.
But I just clipped your image again, using a polygon graphic and data -> export. When I do it to jpeg, there are still some errant dark pixels outside of the area of the graphic. If I export to tiff however, it all looks good.
I am using v10.2.
Perhaps you should try some different image formats (tif, img, fgdb) and see which works best.
Cheers and good luck,
Neil
0 Kudos