Problems with adding a Domain to SDE database while upgrading from 9.3.1 to 10.1

11-07-2012 09:34 AM
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor
Hello all,

I am upgrading my agency's SDE databases from 9.3.1 to 10.1.  Because 10.1 requires a 64-bit operating system, I started it on a new server and am simply recreating the databases and importing in all of the feature classes.  Everything seemed to be going fine until I noticed that 37 of the Domains were being transferred in with their feature classes.  So instead of worrying about it too much, I tried to add them in manually.  Now that is where I got stuck...

I am trying to use the Data Management Tools > Domains > Create Domain tool and I got an error saying that the "Error 000111: Domain already exists."  I went back and checked the database properties and they are not in listed under the Domain tab.  I checked in the feature class properties under the Fields tab and none of the missing domains are being referenced by any of the fields.  I checked under the subtypes to see if they were referencing any of the "existing" domains, but they weren't.  When I try to assign any of the fields (feature class or subtype) to the "existing" domain, the domain is not in the drop down list.

For all intensive purposes, I can't find an existing domain, but I cannot make another one because the tool thinks its already existing.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Any help is much appreciated!
Chris
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
I started it on a new server and am simply recreating the databases and importing in all of the feature classes.

Chris, can you outline the exact steps you were using when you were "importing in all the feature classes"?

thanks,
0 Kudos
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor
Chris, can you outline the exact steps you were using when you were "importing in all the feature classes"?

thanks,

Hi cgillgrass,

I created the SDE database using the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool, opened SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio and configured the new DB to match the old one with all the growth parameters, users, schemas, etc.  Went into ArcCatalog 10.1 SP1 added all the Feature Datasets manually then right clicked on the Feature dataset and chose Import > Feature Class (multiple)...

A colleague of mine suggested that I export the schema from the original database as an XML Workspace document, import the schema using the XML Workspace document, and load the data on a feature class basis (since it is a versioned GDB).  I'm in the process of trying this now.

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos