populate attribute field with data from another feature class

Jump to solution
12-09-2020 01:01 PM
DonRodgers
New Contributor III

I have sewer laterals that extend to the sewer main from within individual parcels. The parcels have an address field. I want to create an address field in the lateral table and populate it with the address data from the related parcel in the parcel table.  

By creating an address field in the lateral table I can then join the lateral table to a table of water usage quantities and use that quantity integer field to generate output with the Find Upstream Contribution tool.

Is there a tool in the ArcMap Standard toolbox that I can use to autopopulate a feature class field in one feature class that intersects a specific feature from another feature class?

Don

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenCoubrough
Esri Contributor

Hi @DonRodgers, Do your Sewer Laterals intersect with your parcels? If so you have the option of a Spatial Join where you can use one of the several match options (Best match method is probably 'Within', but 'Have their center in' might also be good if your lateral midpoints are inside the parcel).

Spatial Join for Water Laterals and Parcels. Output will contain attributes from both feature classesSpatial Join for Water Laterals and Parcels. Output will contain attributes from both feature classes

In the field map of Join Features you can specify which attributes to put into the output feature class, in this case you might select for only the Address attributes from the Parcels features.

Spatial Join - https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/analysis-toolbox/spatial-join.htm 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you tried a spatial join or am I misunderstanding or oversimplifying?  No idea what a sewer lateral is either.

DonRodgers
New Contributor III

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
BenCoubrough
Esri Contributor

Hi @DonRodgers, Do your Sewer Laterals intersect with your parcels? If so you have the option of a Spatial Join where you can use one of the several match options (Best match method is probably 'Within', but 'Have their center in' might also be good if your lateral midpoints are inside the parcel).

Spatial Join for Water Laterals and Parcels. Output will contain attributes from both feature classesSpatial Join for Water Laterals and Parcels. Output will contain attributes from both feature classes

In the field map of Join Features you can specify which attributes to put into the output feature class, in this case you might select for only the Address attributes from the Parcels features.

Spatial Join - https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/analysis-toolbox/spatial-join.htm