Personal geodatabase w. geometric network maxed out a 2GB

09-21-2010 07:16 AM
New Contributor II
I have been mapping a stormwater system using a personal geodatabase that was setup with a geometric network.  The personal geodatabase is now maxed out at the 2GB size limit.  I kept receiving the error "Could not load data from the data source.  If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data.  Possible problems can include bad network connection, invalid field, etc."  Being somewhat unfamiliar with Access databases I think this is happening because the database has exceeded the size limit.  I want to convert from a personal geodatabase to a file geodatabase with a larger file size limit, but I'm unsure if all of the goemetric network properties will convert.  Is it possible to do this conversion?  Any suggestions??

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Occasional Contributor II
The max size of an access .mdb file is 2GB, but as it gets close to that limit performance will most likely be poor so moving to a file geodatabase would be a good idea anyway.

If the pgdb has been frequently edited, one thing you could try would be to run the compact tool on it.  This should reduce the file size and may allow you to proceed.

compact

Make a back up of your geodatabase, then run the compact tool.  See if you still get the error.

As for migrating to the file geodatabase, you can copy and paste the data from the pgdb to the fgdb. 

copy
0 Kudos