Permissions/privileges for editing within a particular feature class (or feature),

Jump to solution
04-18-2013 09:30 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Permissions/privileges for editing within a particular feature class (or feature),

I???m wondering if there is a way to grant Permissions for editing based on particular feature class (or a feature) such that a user will be able to edit objects that are within that feature class ONLY.

For example, in the screenshot below, I wanted the user ???u3??? to be able to edit features (feature classes) that are located within the indicated polygon while this user is not allow to edit features that are outside the indicated polygon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23629[/ATTACH]

1. This is already possible when working with replication. Editing in the created replica can be limited by a feature class such that editing outside that feature class are ignored when synchronized

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23630[/ATTACH]

2. How about having this feature in the web application, i.e. restricting user's editing within particular area?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23631[/ATTACH]

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

Hi Jamal,

Unfortunately, this is not possible.  When you grant a user privileges to edit a feature class there is not an option to only allow them to edit a specific extent.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

You would need to export the features in each polygon to it's own separate feature class, then assign privileges for the desired user to each feature class.

The option you mentioned for the replication limits the features that are replicated.  It essentially just clips the feature class being replicated.

For a web application, you have a little more flexibility when it comes to editing features when Editor Tracking is enabled.  You have the ability to 'Enable ownership-based access control on features'. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23644[/ATTACH]

This is based on features though, not an extent.  This will only allow editors to make edits to features they created.  They cannot edit other features unless 'Update' and 'Delete' are granted.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

You would need to export the features in each polygon to it's own separate feature class, then assign privileges for the desired user to each feature class.

The option you mentioned for the replication limits the features that are replicated.  It essentially just clips the feature class being replicated.

For a web application, you have a little more flexibility when it comes to editing features when Editor Tracking is enabled.  You have the ability to 'Enable ownership-based access control on features'. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23644[/ATTACH]

This is based on features though, not an extent.  This will only allow editors to make edits to features they created.  They cannot edit other features unless 'Update' and 'Delete' are granted.

Many thanks Jake for the elaboration,

It sounds that I couldn�??t express what I wanted to achieve,

Scenario:

Suppose that I have the following layers (which extend across country):
1. roads,
2. rivers
3. forest
4. governorates (district, states) boundary

Now, what I wanted is to give a particular user the permission to edit the portion of the layer of roads, river and forest that lies with his/her governorate (state) ONLY.

For example, if I need to grant a particular user the permission to edit the portion of the layers (roads, river and forest) that lies only within the CALIFORNIA state, then this user is supposed to edit these layers only within the boundary of CALIFORNIA and not able to edit the portion of these layers that lies within the NEW YORK state. It should be considered that I need to keep the layer of roads, river and forest all across the country; I don�??t need to clip them for each state (as an example). Otherwise, it is easy to do what I want

On other words, I�??m looking for permissions that are granted based a particular boundary such that a user is permitted to edit/update/delete inside this boundary and have no permissions outside it.

Is that possible? On database level? Web level?

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

Unfortunately, this is not possible.  When you grant a user privileges to edit a feature class there is not an option to only allow them to edit a specific extent.
0 Kudos