permision level on sde dataset , feature layer , feature layer fields

12-26-2013 04:04 AM
anwarawad
New Contributor III
hi all
I am working on a project that targets a none professional users for high level functionalities
in my project I am to build a module to control SDE administration work , and I have some Q's
       1. I suggested building the application as a desktop based application rather than to be a web based , cause I think there will be lots of trade-offs if iam to use web , trade-offs related transactions that are highly critical ,,,,,, can anyone advice for that ? and if you can , can you send me the specific critical/danger point's trade-offs
       2. I know that the policy of ESRI SDE is that privileges are given for the dataset level , not for feature layer nor feature layer field , can you help me if its possible to achieve that with some other way like using Oracle commands ? and if it wont make any collisions if I use it ? ,,,,,, if not and its no way to achieve that , can you point me to some official ESRI documentation that state's "its impossible"  to do it

please help me ASAP , its urgent so I can decide what to do

thanks all for the help in advance

awad
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
then if it lives in arcserver ,, is it connected to any service of arc server ???
I mean am I stuck to the map services and other services published on the arc server or it can work and manage the resources on the sde ?????

You should probably ask this particular question in another sub-forum, like:

ArcGIS REST API
ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java
ArcGIS Server (10.0 and prior) SOAP API

as there will be far more expertise there for answering your questions.

That said, just looking at the documentation in the Help, I get the feeling you should be able to make calls to such a SOE service without involving map services, just like calling any ordinary SOAP/REST based webservice. To do what you want, the ArcGIS for Server would of course need a (ArcSDE) Direct Connect connection to your enterprise geodatabase, so all prerequisites for that, like a proper database driver installed on the server where ArcGIS for Server resides, would need to be fulfilled.

Also see this remark on the What is a server object extension? Help page:

"Additionally, if you want to write custom property pages for your SOEs beyond those automatically generated, you must have a knowledge of Windows forms development or Java Swing (for ArcCatalog pages) or web forms development using Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and JavaScript (for Manager pages)."
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Marco is right -- this isn't the right Forum to be asking SOE questions, but there was
a key part of your question that was relevant here:

I mean am I stuck to the map services and other services published on the arc
server or it can work and manage the resources on the sde ?????

The key piece is "on the sde".  First off, the name for the spatial database engine of
ArcGIS has been "ArcSDE" for years.  Second, ArcSDE is only the access protocol to
reach the database -- nothing is done "on" or "in" ArcSDE, only in the database or
on the geodatabase, through ArcSDE.  The distinction is not solely pedantic -- if you
are thinking "geodatabase" instead of "sde", then it would be evident that any
ArcObjects application (like an SOE or a geoprocessing service) would have the
opportunity to manage resources within a geodatabase.

Just to clarify one part of Marco's post, you can't access an SOE without a
map service, since SOEs are published under a map service, and the REST
access URL for SOEs passes through that map service, but the SOE is not
restricted to the resources exposed by that service.

- V
0 Kudos