Parcel Fabric Features 'Storage: High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 0)

08-15-2013 09:17 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

We've been having some major performance issues and oddities with our parcel fabric and just noticed something:

The fabric is in a featuredataset in State Plane - Meters.  On a regular basis (even after reindexing with GP tools) our spatial/feature extent goes all out of whack.  The Mins will read Min X -35666000 Min Y: -30006900 but the max numbers seem correct (Max Y: 381773.5113, Max X: 312012.9324)...same with Z extent (Min -100000 Max 0).  I just noticed that, under the General tab, all of the features' Geometry Properties read:

'Storage: High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 0)'

Shouldn't this SRID be set to the correct State Plane system (32100 in our case).

I do find that when I query the SQL tables to get the SRID (Shape.STSrid) I get back 32100.

Could this be causing the performance issues that we are experiencing?

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

I don't know what's happening, and I haven't used parcel fabrics. However, I do recognize those numbers that you're seeing.

Min X -35666000
Min Y: -30006900

They're the default minimum xy extent/domain values for EPSG:32100 (NAD83 State Plane Montana (meters)). (and the same with the min Z: -100000)

I wouldn't expect to see those values unless the feature dataset/class was empty or somehow data was getting placed at that location.

Melita
0 Kudos
MichaelSnook
Hi,

I wouldn't expect to see those values unless the feature dataset/class was empty or somehow data was getting placed at that location.

Melita

Hi Melita,

After investigating the "Parcels" feature class it seems that somehow there are records (3 total) with AREA and LENGTH of 0.  I'm not sure if this is by design with the Parcel Fabric or not?   I assume this is what is causing the extents to go all the way to the extremes.  Any info on the SRID 0 issue?

Thanks for your help.

-Mike
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
After investigating the "Parcels" feature class it seems that somehow there are records (3 total) with AREA and LENGTH of 0.  I'm not sure if this is by design with the Parcel Fabric or not?   I assume this is what is causing the extents to go all the way to the extremes.  Any info on the SRID 0 issue?

Well, I can't speak for ESRI, as I am not working for them, nor do I have experience with Parcel Fabrics, but I am pretty much 100% sure this is "not by design"...

It seems your current workflow introduces geometries with areas so small the shapes "collapse", or they may contain polygon features with less than 3 vertices (minimum for any polygon). This might be due to some editing actions and sliver type polygons introduced by them that you may not even be aware they exist.

It seems more regular checks on geometry and topology is in order, use the ArcGIS tools for that.

As to the SRID being reported as 0, IDK...
0 Kudos
MichaelSnook
I definitely agree this shouldn't be by design but it seems to be that there *should* be only one path one can walk down in regards to editing features with the Parcel Fabric editor tools....which would lead one to believe that these types of anomalies *shouldn't* happen within the fabric...obviously, they do.

What's strange about these 'empty' features is that the appear to be unjoined from the fabric and I'm wondering how they seemed to make it out of the construction phase and into the fabric.

Not much in the way of resolving the issue...just some observations.
0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Please note that the occurrence of empty geometries in the fabric is by design. These represent parcels that have not yet been joined and integrated into the rest of the fabric. These are stored in an �??unjoined�?� state, waiting to be joined (connected) with the other parcels in the fabric. They are stored in the fabric tables with empty geometries. There is more information about unjoined parcels and empty versus null geometries in this forum post.

I've attempted to reproduce the case that you are experiencing with the large extents, but without success so far. If you haven�??t done so already, please contact tech support so that it can be properly tracked and recorded. Is there a particular worklfow that you can identify as causing the problem?

Another question: you�??ve noted in your post that the General tab states �??Storage: High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 0)�?�

To confirm what you're seeing on that General property page: it does not state �??�?�using ST_Geometry spatial type�?��?� ? In other words this particular reported property has two problems; first is that the SRID is reported as 0, and the second is that it is not reporting the �??ST geometry�?�?

Thanks,
-Tim (Parcel Editor team)
0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Another question: you�??ve noted in your post that the General tab states �??Storage: High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 0)�?�

To confirm what you're seeing on that General property page: it does not state �??�?�using ST_Geometry spatial type�?��?� ? In other words this particular reported property has two problems; first is that the SRID is reported as 0, and the second is that it is not reporting the �??ST geometry�?�?

Thanks,
-Tim (Parcel Editor team)

Hi Tim,

That is correct.  The Geometry Properties for all features (in 10.1) reads "High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 0)".  Strangely enough I have a new deployment of 10.2 and reading the same features reads "High Precision using Geometry spatial type (SRID 32100)".

See screenshots.

This is 10.1 looking at 'Parcels' in our SDE.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26847[/ATTACH]

This is 10.2 looking at 'Parcels' in our SDE.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26848[/ATTACH]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
RyanKelso
Mike, did you ever get any resolution to this issue?  I'm seeing almost exactly the same thing using 10.1.
0 Kudos