Only one Pyramid Level created on MaxLevel -1 option

Jump to solution
10-05-2012 09:48 AM
AlainProulx
New Contributor III
Hello,

I just loaded 350GB of GeoTIFF files into SDE as a Raster Dataset.  When I create pyramids using the default -1 option, it takes 22 hours of processing but when I check the levels, only ONE level is created?  If I try to create 10 levels, it completes in seconds but still indicates only one level.

We've been loading Rasters since 2002 without this happening.  Our other raster datasets contain about 10 levels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Al
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherThomas
New Contributor III
Al,
Are you using 10.1? There is currently a bug logged for a similar behavior at 10.1. This bug was logged with an Oracle support incident, but the behavior has been reproduced in Sql Server as well.

NIM084474 [Synopsis: ArcGIS is not honoring Pyramid level setting for an ArcSDE raster stored in Oracle.]
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDg0NDc0

You might try specifying the number of levels instead of using the -1 value. Since your other rasters are around 10 levels, you might try using 10 and see if that works.

Regards,
Chris
ESRI Geodata Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherThomas
New Contributor III
Al,
Are you using 10.1? There is currently a bug logged for a similar behavior at 10.1. This bug was logged with an Oracle support incident, but the behavior has been reproduced in Sql Server as well.

NIM084474 [Synopsis: ArcGIS is not honoring Pyramid level setting for an ArcSDE raster stored in Oracle.]
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDg0NDc0

You might try specifying the number of levels instead of using the -1 value. Since your other rasters are around 10 levels, you might try using 10 and see if that works.

Regards,
Chris
ESRI Geodata Support
0 Kudos
AlainProulx
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply Chris.  We're running SQL Server but this problem describes what's going.  I figured out a workaround that worked for me.  I first needed to delete existing pyramids and then create them by specifying the level to 10.

Thanks
Al
0 Kudos