number of shapes does not match the number of table records

10-03-2014 02:02 PM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

just made a quick map. I imported a shp file containing only 1 point marking the location of a sewer plant. I go to edit that shape file, but adding a text field with the name of the plant, so i can create an automatic label.  Looks great until I close arcmap, and then try to re-open that map. I get the above message. Any way to fix it, or more importantly, how do i keep it from happening? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am assuming that the edits were stopped and saved...in any event if it is a geometry error you can give Repair Geometry a shot, however, since it is only one point, it is hardly worthwhile downloading an abundance of shapefile repair tools from the web to fix it.  Should this occur more frequently, then you might explore some options.  See this topic as well  or search on this site using ...

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Yes it is only one point, but I remember this happening once before, and I am not sure how I fixed it. I am using 10.1 and don’t have access to that tool. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

repair geometry is available at all license levels according to the help

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

i am still getting errors. I'd appreciate someone taking a look at this small file when time becomes available.  Heres the sequence. I exported a single point from autocad map to a shape file.  I import that shape file to arcmap and it works great.  I edit that shape file to add an attribute called "name" so i can create a label for it.  That works fine, and it labels correctly.  I can exit that map, (totally out of the software) and then open it back up, and the shape file that I edited is not working. I get the error : number of shapes does not match the number of table records. I am going to upload a good and bad copy of this file. I'd appreciate any comments. (well i thought i was going to upload shape files but cant find how to do that)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Upload in a zip file please

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Having trouble replying in this forum. Sometimes I have the option to,and sometimes I dont

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

here is the file

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

keep trying

0 Kudos