number of session exceeded

Jump to solution
04-04-2014 04:26 AM
yousradaoudi
New Contributor
hello
i'm using arcgis desktop 10.2 and sql server 2008 express in the same machine just for test when more than 3 machine try to connect to my Geodabase (sql server ) they have this message :number of session exceeded
can someone know why i have this problem knowing thati have arcgis advanced and sql server 2008 express the both accepte many connection at a time

thanks
0 Kudos
17 Replies
yousradaoudi
New Contributor
here is the error message that i get
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32847[/ATTACH]

thanks for ur help
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
You receive this error because you are using Multiuser Desktop(1 editor and 3 readers) Geodatabase. If you want more users to connect to the Geodatabase, you have to get a Workgroup GDB (10 editors and readers) or an Enterprise GDB (Unlimited editors and readers).
0 Kudos
yousradaoudi
New Contributor
You receive this error because you are using Multiuser Desktop(1 editor and 3 readers) Geodatabase. If you want more users to connect to the Geodatabase, you have to get a Workgroup keycode (10 editors and readers) or an Enterprise GDB (Unlimited editors and readers).

please can you explain more about what you said ,because i m using arcgis desktop 10.2 sql server express , and in an other machin i have arcgis server 10.1 workgroup edition so how can i use arcgis server to have more connection to my geodatabase
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
What I meant was Workgroup GDB. Right now you are using Desktop GDB and once more than three connections are made to the database, you encounter error. If you want to make more connections to the database, you have to use either Workgroup GDB or Enterprise GDB. Please refer this webpage.
0 Kudos
yousradaoudi
New Contributor
What I meant was Workgroup GDB. Right now you are using Desktop GDB and once more than three connections are made to the database, you encounter error. If you want to make more connections to the database, you have to use either Workgroup GDB or Enterprise GDB. Please refer this webpage.

thanks for responding but how can i create a workgroup gdb here how i create mine: i connect to my database server (sql server) then i create my gdb if there is an other way to do it please show it to me and thanks again
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
thanks for responding but how can i create a workgroup gdb here how i create mine: i connect to my database server (sql server) then i create my gdb if there is an other way to do it please show it to me and thanks again

Yousra,

You probably followed the instruction I gave here to create an ArcSDE Personal Server (a.k.a. Personal ArcSDE, a.k.a. Desktop Geodatabase). ArcSDE Personal Server doesn't allow more than 3 connections, even though SQL Server Express does, this is a build-in restriction by ESRI in order to prevent you from using it outside its intended scope, that is, just for "personal" and not "organizational" wide usage.

You can see if you are running an ArcSDE Personal Server (or otherwise), by right clicking the Database Server connection in ArcCatalog, and choosing Properties. It will open a dialog showing the type of ArcSDE server you have (in your case most likely it will thus read "ArcSDE Personal Server", see also the example I posted here).

Workgroup ArcSDE is NOT available as a free option, you have to buy / license it from ESRI, just like Enterprise ArcSDE. In order to license it, you will need a license for ArcGIS for Server, of which ArcSDE is part. ESRI will give you a license file once you've bought it.

In order to create the Workgroup Geodatabase, follow the link Nidhinkn pointed out in the previous post in the thread. Please note that, as with the Desktop Geodatabase instructions I gave, you don't need to reinstall SQL Server Express if you have it already installed, you just need to start the ESRI supplied "ArcGIS for Server Workgroup" installer, and then skip the actual step of installing SQL Server Express and go on with the authorization.

In case of an Enterprise Geodatabase, you will have to use the Create or Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tools and insert / use the license with these tools to create the Enterprise Geodatabase.

Personal ArcSDE, a.k.a. Desktop Geodatabase, a.k.a. ArcSDE Personal Server is free, and doesn't require a license file, but it is only included as part of ArcGIS for Desktop Standard and Advanced. You can not run an ArcSDE Personal Server using ArcGIS for Desktop Basic.

In order to create a Desktop Geodatabase, you don't use the Create or Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tools, but need to follow the instructions I posted here:

Steps to install "Personal ArcSDE / Desktop Geodatabase"
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
please can you explain more about what you said ,because i m using arcgis desktop 10.2 sql server express , and in an other machin i have arcgis server 10.1 workgroup edition so how can i use arcgis server to have more connection to my geodatabase

If you already have the "Workgroup" level license, than Nidhinkn pointed out the way to use it to authorize your database for up to 10 concurrent users, instead of the 3 of a Desktop Geodatabase you have now:

Enabling SQL Server Express to store workgroup geodatabases.
0 Kudos