new geocoder is so much slower than the old one

Jump to solution
06-02-2015 10:57 AM
JianLiu
New Contributor III

We use StreetMap Premium geocoder, and just installed 2014R3 version. However, compared to the old one we had (2012R3, SDC based), this new geocoder is about 3 times slower. For example, the geocoding speed was about 130,000records/hour for the old one (using ArcMap 10.0), and 45,000records/hour for this new one (using ArcMap 10.3).

I checked computer performance while geocoder was running, it doesn't look like CPU nor memory has reached its capacity, so geocoder performance should not be limited by my hardware or resource sharing. I am thinking if there is any major change in the geocoder itself that could lead to such a dramatic change??! I saw posts mentioning GDB vs. SDC. Anybody has the same problem?

I encountered a number while googling:

https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/arcgis93-geocoding-technology.pdf

page 6 mentioned desktop speed of 2,250,000/hour for batch geocoding (though it's an older version). I would be happy to get one tenth of it. How can I make the new geocoder run faster? Thanks a lot! 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SutharsanSuriya_Prakash
New Contributor

hi, we are facing performance issues in our geocoding services. Earlier we used to get performance of 16ms for 100 threadds in load test, but now we are getting more than 100ms. can we know about the issues. And also may i know how to do the clean .loc and .xml files, which is mentioned in this last thread

0 Kudos
JianLiu
New Contributor III

Our performance issue was due to some customization of the geocoder. We just resorted to the original locator files provided, which does seem to give faster performance. Sutharsan Suriya Prakash

0 Kudos