Need a Composite locator to find nearest point when I reverse geocode

08-15-2016 08:28 AM
AllanLambert
New Contributor III

10.3.1.  How can I tell the locator to find closest rather than first listed.  I have an address point Locator that finds 22 Oak St and a street centerline locator that will interpolate 20 Oak St (Oak St and Smith Rd if Intersection=True) when used independently.  But in the Composite locator when reverse geocoding, it'll only find 22 Oak St because it's listed first.  Setting a distance doesn't change anything.  If my customer places a point in an intersection for a pot hole or traffic signal out, I don't want it to reach 400 feet for 22 Oak St.   Ideal output is (22 Oak St) or (Oak St and Smith Rd) whichever is closest.  Thank you for your help.composite locator‌#reverse geocoding

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't do a lot of reverse geocoding, but I do use address points and centerlines in a composite locator.  Have you tried changing the order such the the address points are first?  That's how I use them for 9-1-1 dispatch.  I'd much rather have the spatial precision of a point rather than the interpolated (lack of) precision from the streets if I can...

That should just about do it....
AllanLambert
New Contributor III

Thanks Joe,  I have the address point listed 1st and it works correctly by finding the address point every time.  But for a 3rd party app for Public Works, if someone places a point in an intersection, we want the locator to return Oak and Smith not the closest address.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, are you using the Reverse Geocode geoprocessing tool or working programmatically?

0 Kudos
AllanLambert
New Contributor III

Thanks Bruce, A 3rd party vendor is inserting a locator in an app for the public to report any and everything.  We cannot use the esri geocoders because the outputs are forwarded to a work order mgmt. system that's expecting a specific format.  Programmatically I assume.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, the app can do both an address and intersection reverse geocode and choose whichever match is closer.

The API will return the same response schema in both cases if a match is found, although of course always performing two reverse geocodes will have a small performance hit.

AllanLambert
New Contributor III

Are you saying to get rid of the composite and use 2 locators?  And the vendor should be able to programmatically return the closest of the 2 outputs?

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
AllanLambert
New Contributor III

Thank you.  I get it.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos