My Windows 7 is showing files that should be default as ArcGIS files. How do I fix it ?

04-12-2016 09:26 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am posting my files that is suppose to display ArcGIS files in Windows Explorer. It was set default as AutoCAD and I need to get them to ArcGIS . How do I do that ?

I am using Windows 7.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

You can right click on the file type and click Properties and then on the General tab click Change next to Opens With..  and select ArcMap.  This will not help since you cannot open this directly from Windows Explorer.   You need to be navigating in ArcCatalog or the Add Data button in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Robert,

I am not sure if you can successfully open the shapefile in ArcMap by double-clicking the file from Windows Explorer, even after changing the default Open-With option.

Shapefiles are not meant to be opened like that. You might like to add it from ArcCatalog, or Add Data option, or Drag-and-drop the shapefile from Windows Explorer to ArcMap.

Think Location
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

The reason I asked was because if you have to upload to ArcGIS Online or need to zip and I have AutoCAD which cause me to confuse which one to select if you know what I mean.

0 Kudos