multiple editing temples all need an attribute X changed to Y

04-10-2014 07:18 AM
DavidAinley1
New Contributor
I do a ton of editing one of the attributes I need to keep track of is town name.  I often bounce from one town to another which
means changing a each of my templates from town X to town Y... and if i forget i need to go back and edit the features, which can
take a long time as I have lots of features per town.  I also have point line and polygon features which means changing even more
templates...  I think there are two solutions, I would rather the first one though the second one might be easier right now.

1. Is there a way to change all of my template's attributes from one town to another, for example if i am working in town X and
switch to town Y, I want to be able to change 10 templates from  town X to Town Y.  I would really rather this work than the
model builder idea below...

2. Is there a way to link a an attribute such as town name to data like town name and polygons representing each town so that this
attribute is automatically updated based on the town that the feature falls in.  I know I could do this with an automated join by location.... has anyone made this model/ tool yet?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
David,

this sounds like you need to get the free Attribute Assistant Add-in. I wrote an article about it for the ArcUser Magazine which explains how to set it up and how it works.

One of the rules, allows you to automatically populate a field depinding on a polygon that it intersects with (i.e. if you place an address point within a certain city limits, it will populate a field in your address point attribute table, using the name of that city).

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
DavidAinley1
New Contributor
Thank you,

This sounds perfect for attributes that are based on polygon attributes, but what if an attribute is based on a point?  or if an attribute is the title of a PDF?  then I need a tool which changes attributes in all templates, is that somehow possible?
0 Kudos
DavidAinley1
New Contributor
Great article, cool tool... but I only have a basic license.
0 Kudos