Mosaic dataset overviews appear black/ have gaps in some parts

01-27-2012 09:09 AM
JohannavR
New Contributor
Hello,
I have created a large mosaic dataset with b/w aerial photos, checked both generate overviews and pyramyds options. These generate well for some areas but have large black gaps in many parts. The black patches disappear only when zooming in to very large scales, larger than 1:10,000. Images are .bil format with resolution of 1.5 to 2 pixels and custom coordinate system based GRS 1980 UTM 15. Is anything in the images properties that could be causing a problem? If I display them individually, they look fine. Because this is a very large dataset, I chose the mosaic dataset method. Raster catalog would also work, but I need to be able to plot some detailed areas with the photos and it won't work as it is now with black gaps.
I am using Arcgis 10 SP 3.
How can I correct this? I attach a screenshot.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Have you calculated statistics on the imagery prior to adding it to the mosaic dataset?
0 Kudos
JohannavR
New Contributor
Sorry, I didn't see the reply before.

No statistics were calculated on the images before creating the mosaic dataset.

Would that affect the overviews or pyramids if it were done?
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
I would suggest a number of  things here.
First of all the the black padding has gone through all the overviews so I would look at removing them.
Secondly, you need to run the build footprints tool. This will eliminate the padding around the images.
Third ensure you have pyramids on all the images. This is done with the build pyramids tool.
Finally, run define/build overviews tools.

Now if you find you still have black overviews after this I suggest you investigate the pyramids of the problem images and re-create them if they were there originally.

cheers
Gordon
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Please refer to this document, which gives you information and tips on mosaic dataset,

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/The_workflow_and_tools_to_create_mosai...

Regards,
Gayu
0 Kudos