Mosaic Dataset & Privileges

04-17-2011 11:43 PM
TITTIT
by
New Contributor
Hello,

I've created a Mosaic Dataset in ArcSDE with the SDE User Account. Afterwards, I created a new user and changed in the "Privileges" Properties (with the sde Account of course) that this new user can read and write to the Mosaic Dataset.

So far so good, the user is now able to see the dataset. But, and here comes the problem, he just sees the gridlines and not the content (Raster data).

Is this a known bug or can somebody help me solving this problem?

thanks

greets,
Philipp
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Raster catalogs are not displayed as rasters until the minimum tile threshold is reached
(by either zooming in or raising the default threshold).

You really shouldn't load *any* spatial data as the SDE user.  It should be treated as a
privileged account with limited access (a la SYSTEM, SYS, sa, root, Adminstrator,...). 
You also don't want to overfill the storage container assigned to the SDE user (Oracle
TABLESPACE), since this can cause ArcSDE service failure.

- V
0 Kudos
TITTIT
by
New Contributor
The current Database is just to test the possibilities with ArcSDE. I know that I shouldn't load any data with the sde account but thanks for the hint 🙂

Meanwhile I solved the problem. Of course you're right with the treshold, but my problem was far easier 😉 .. Before the raster test, I tested how I can connect to the ArcSDE and there is a possibility to connect through the postgresql driver (sde:postgresql:5432 I think) and i forgot that and the user always connected through it. For "normal" GIS data, there isn't a problem, but the problems came with the raster data.

So far so good hehe. But thanks once again for the hints.

greetz
Phil
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Also, you should note the following with Mosaic Datasets in SDE.  When the ArcGIS client connects to SDE as the database user it will only have read privileges to the mosaic dataset overviews.  The overviews, by default, are stored in the SDE geodatabase.  Once you zoom into a large enough scale you will be accessing the raw imagery on disk.  Therefore, the windows user from the ArcGIS client will need read privileges to the imagery.
0 Kudos