Minimum Components of Oracle Client to direct connect ArcSDE database

04-21-2011 05:42 AM
SaqibHanif
New Contributor
Hi,

I need to direct connect an ArcSDE database already created from ArcCatalog. I know that I need Oracle Client for this purpose but when I start installing Oracle Client, it gives me several options like Instant Client, Administrator, Runtime etc.

I need to know what option should I Select to install minimum components only necessary for ArcSDE Direct Connect.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Saqib,

You need the "Administrator Client" at the minimum. Here's a KB article on it (it is currently being updated to mention the administrator client as well):

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=35406

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If you don't need a GUI to populate tnsnames.ora, your can probably get by with just
the Runtime client; I've done a custom install and managed to get ArcSDE working with
less than the packages installed with Administrator.  Instant client is *not* enough.

- V
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Instant client is *not* enough. as per Vince Angelo of ESRI

Is this still the case with ArcGIS v10.1?
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Michael,

At 10.1 instant client will work. See: ArcGIS Help 10.1: Setting up a connection to Oracle

Pre-10.1 the instant client will not work. You can use the runtime as Vince mentions, the admin, or the full client.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
A lot can change in 18 months (just ask Gordon Moore).  At this point, I'd go as far to say
that Instant Client is the preferred Oracle connection methodology for ArcGIS 10.1.

- V
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Thanks Vince.

I am trying to get the Instance parameter configured so I just need to provide the sid for the database

e.g. production instead of sde:oracle11g:production so my instance is not tied to a specific oracle client version in which case I would not need to modify my sde connections inside of mxds if I update the Oracle Client.

An ESRI technical representative said that it was setup this way on his machine, but sde:oracle11g keeps getting automatically added to my instance when I create a direct connection in ArcCatalog without specifying sde:oracle11g in the Instance parameter.

Do your Oracle direct connections work this way?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I'm still using application servers, and/or runtime clients (mostly with older instances).
But I was going to start using Instant Client for a new 10.1 project I'm starting, so I'll
let you know...

BTW:  If you check off "disable smilies in text", the ":o" won't show as a graphic in the post.

- V
0 Kudos
AllanBenvin
New Contributor III
Has anyone reached any conclusions about direct connect and Oracle client versions? We are currently using application server connects but will be migrating to direct connects. We don't want to have all the users connections and mxds broken if they get a new Oracle client installed.

I have done some basic testing on a vmware image by using a connection file created for with Oracle 11g. I unstalled the 11G client and installed 10G. After doing this the connection file still worked but I'm not sure if there were still some remnants of the 11G client on my machine.

I'm not sure if at 10.1 and above if the oracle client in the direct connect string is actually used. I suspect it may be there just for historical formatting reasons.

In short I'm reluctant to move 500+ users to direct connects that may break if they get a new Oracle client installed.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience or information on this.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Allan:

The Oracle Connections need to have the Client version specified, so you will need to update all the SDE connections in your mxds.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/85064-Looping-Through-Layers-in-Mxd-and-Saving-Mxd-Changes-Extent
Look at post #13 for a python script that you help you with this conversion.

You will also need to update any lyr files you have that reference application server connects, unless you want to recreate them.  I could help you out with some code in that area.

Please note that the above script uses the findAndReplaceWorkspacePath which might have a memory leak that would be detected if you plan on running this script on a large batch of mxds (>400).  I have a longer script that uses the  replaceDataSource method that has a memory leak issue when running on a large batch of mxds.  As such I run my python script on a Windows 2008 Server machine to get as big a batch as possible (>1500 mxds in 1 batch).
0 Kudos