Select to view content in your preferred language

Message notification direction in relationship classes: pratically useless?

02-05-2015 08:35 AM
RobertoRossi
Frequent Contributor

ArcGIS for Desktop Help tells us that, using Relationship classes in Geodatabase, we can use a Message notification direction in order to manage "...actions that require an update of one feature to trigger an update in its related features": for example "When you update a feature, you want an attribute in a related feature to update automatically".

To manage this kind of behaviors we can set a Message notification direction to 4 different directions (None, Forward, Backward, Both).

In fact everytime we create a relationship class we have to chose one of the 4 direction... but...

The strange thing is that, unlike the other ArcGIS desktop tools, which normally are "Ready to use", in this case, this operation needs a "custom programming", and the choise of the message notification direction is pratically useless!

Is there any "Almost-Ready to use" add-on which can help non-programming user to achieve the objective?

Roberto Rossi

Padua University

3 Replies
PatrickDenny
New Contributor

Found this when wondering about message direction myself. There is a table outlining all the built-in message direction functionalities in the Message Notification Direction section of ESRI's Relationship Class Properties documentation page.

Here's the table:

DirectionEffect on simple relationshipsEffect on composite relationships

Forward

No effect unless customized with programming

• Deleting origin deletes destination
  • Moving or rotating origin moves or rotates destination
  • No other effect unless custom behavior is programmed

Backward

Both

• Moving or rotating origin moves or rotates destination

None

Prevents messages from being sent, slightly improving performance

• Prevents other messages from being sent, improving performance slightly
DavidRichey
Regular Contributor

I am wondering if there are examples of the custom programming necessary. I have not been able to find them myself, and would like to experiment. I found my way to the table Patrick displays above, but nothing further. I am also wondering if this functionality transfers to ArcGIS Online for automation of related features.

TLandrum
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone discovered how or where one can "program custom behavior"? I'm at a loss just like the others on this message.