Make Image Georeferencing Permanent

04-30-2013 02:04 PM
PatrickYoung
New Contributor II
I have a jpeg 2000 aerial that's got a correctly defined projection but is inconsistently shifted in different locations due to poor mosaicking.  The image already has associated prj and jgw files.  I georeferenced the image using other data sources to get it to line up better and updated georeferencing to make it permanent in ArcGIS.  I see that this created a jgwx file.  The file lines up fine between ArcGIS products, but when I load it into AutoCAD, the image is in its original position, which tells me that AutoCAD isn't picking up the georeferencing modifications contained in the jgwx file.  I got the same result when viewing it in Global Mapper.  I am currently in the process of running a rectify to create a brand new aerial, but it's a large area and it's taking forever. 

So, my question is, does anyone out there know how to get other programs (specifically AutoCAD) to recognize the georeferecing performed in ArcGIS?

Thanks,
Patrick
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Try renaming .jgwx to .jgw and see if AutoCAD recognizes the world file.  The "x" is specific to ArcGIS.

World files for raster datasets  Check out the section "World file naming conventions".

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
PatrickYoung
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply Eric.

I tested renaming the j2wx file, but it didn't make a difference in either AutoCAD or Global Mapper.  The Georeferencing Rectify ran overnight, but finally spit out a result.  Unfortunately, that process took a 700mb file and blew it up to 3.8gb.  I'm not sure if there were some settings I overlooked that could have prevented this, and I'm not sure how it happened since the number of pixels and format stayed the same.  At any rate, that process also did not create a j2w file.  I accomplished that using the ArcScript World File Creator.  This finally made it line up in AutoCAD, but it ran too slowly due to the file size.  In the end, my CAD techs took the original images and georeferenced them in AutoCAD.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Take your original georefrenced image that is correctly located in ArcGIS and export it.

Thanks for the reply Eric.

I tested renaming the j2wx file, but it didn't make a difference in either AutoCAD or Global Mapper.  The Georeferencing Rectify ran overnight, but finally spit out a result.  Unfortunately, that process took a 700mb file and blew it up to 3.8gb.  I'm not sure if there were some settings I overlooked that could have prevented this, and I'm not sure how it happened since the number of pixels and format stayed the same.  At any rate, that process also did not create a j2w file.  I accomplished that using the ArcScript World File Creator.  This finally made it line up in AutoCAD, but it ran too slowly due to the file size.  In the end, my CAD techs took the original images and georeferenced them in AutoCAD.
0 Kudos