Locator won't match close street number in single address locator

11-26-2013 06:49 AM
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III
We have built a locator in ArcGIS 10 SP5 which is based on the US Street - Single Address style.
We have been able to tweak most other settings but are still having issues with street number scoring.
Basically, we would like the locator to rank similar house numbers on the same street/town with a high score.
The default action (from my testing and based on one other forum thread) seems to indicate that the locator is VERY strict about the house number matching - to the point that it will give a high ranking to an address that matches the house number and street in a town hundreds of miles away, but fail to even score the address 100' away.
We have tried playing with the scoring of the FullNormalAddress, NormalAddress and House components but nothing seems to allow addresses with close house numbers in the desired city to be ranked higher than exact house number matches in a different city.

For example:
Search for 100 Main Street, Mytown

Geocoder responds with:
Score: 90, Address: 100 Main Street, Yourtown (could be large distance away from Mytown and therefore totally wrong location).

Yet 98 Main Street, Mytown is only two house numbers away from the desired address.  I would like the locator to return something like:

Score: 98, Address: 98 Main Street, MyTown
Score: 50, Address: 100 Main Street, Yourtown

Has anyone found a solution for this?  Any workarounds?  Apparently this worked as desired in 9.3.1 but was "improved" in 10.0?
Tags (2)
77 Replies
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III

Great!  That's getting us very close.

locator.png

Next step for us is tweaking the relative scoring weight of the House# to bump those scores back down a bit, but still have the numbers closer to 916 score higher than the others.  We're doing some trial and error with the .lot.xml file and trying to use the document in http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=aeb00de638f3492a93308a4a03183c7d .  If you have any hints for scoring specific to the house number in this method and mapping schema,  we'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Dan

BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

There are other parameters to this change that we can do to change the scores.  What were you looking for?

1. What should be the score deduction for the first house number out of range, second, third...?

2. What is the highest number of out of range addresses that you want to get back?

Brad

0 Kudos
DanMcCoy

We'll likely want to fine tune it later once we know how to adjust the scoring, but to get started....

How about knocking it down to 80 for '915', 78-79 for '910', 65-70 for '1000' & '1001', and so on....?

As for the number of candidates, it would depend on the min scores set, but it would be good to see 10-15with scores over 60.

Also, be able to round the score to an integer would be preferable... if possible...

It might be too much for this post, but it would help if I understood how the linear scoring works and how matching to a range relates to address points with a single address.

Dan

0 Kudos
DanMcCoy

Brad Niemand​,

Have you had a chance to look into this?  Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Would this work?

1 out of range ~80

10 out of range ~79

20 out of range ~77

70 out of range ~70

100 out of range ~60

These can be tweaked but it is a tedious process.

Here are the new values you would use to replace the ones i mentioned above:

<init_properties>

<prop name="MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:Method">Linear</prop>

<prop name="MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:HouseDelta">150</prop>

<prop name="MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:HouseDeltaScore">0.0</prop>

<prop name="MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:MaxOutOfRangeScore">0.53</prop>

</init_properties>

Brad

0 Kudos
DanMcCoy

Thanks Brad Niemand!  We'll try that out.

I'm unable to find any info about the MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:HouseDelta, MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:HouseDeltaScore, and MatchHouseToRange:DistanceScoring:MaxOutOfRangeScore properties.

Can you point me towards an explanation of these and how to use them in a locator?

Dan

0 Kudos
ElizabethWare1
New Contributor

Brad Niemand‌ I am having several issue going from 9.3 to 10 in some areas.  First my locator doesn't seem to want to match in my code, but matches perfectly in ArcMap 10.7. Worked perfectly in 9.3.  I am using a Single Address locator Style for this locator because the shp file I was given for this client only has the address (611 N CLAY ST) and City (NEVADA). 

Also, seem to be having a huge issue with trying to open my CSV file, that worked perfectly in 9.3, but fails in 10.7.

// Create pTable from .csv file...
IWorkspaceFactory pFact = new TextFileWorkspaceFactory();
IWorkspace pWorkspace = pFact.OpenFromFile(LocalFolder, 0);

IFeatureWorkspace pFeatws = (IFeatureWorkspace)pWorkspace;
ITable pTable = pFeatws.OpenTable(CSVFile); //open the .csv file... -- FAILS

Could you please help me with this. I have been posting the last issue, but nobody is answering and I have a huge time constraint on this.

Thanks

Elizabeth

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Elizabeth- where have you posted your questions?  I try to stay on top of geocoding problems too.

Locators took a quantum leap from 9.3 to 10.3 and there are a number of changes since then too. I'd like to see your other posts; Brad has been responsive to mine, and I'll  loop in Eric Anderson ; he's another great resource..

Edtied moments later: Elizabeth, I found your arcobjects sdk post; sounds like you have two issues, right? The csv errors along with geocoding results?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ElizabethWare1
New Contributor

Joe,  I have replied to this one: OpenTable 

Created this one: Can't open CSV File in 10.7 

And I think one other, but I can't remember.

I sure hope you can help me with this. On a really big time crunch.

Yes so far those two are crucial. I am sure there will be others as I move through this.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Elizabeth,

What are you trying to do with your code above?  I know you are trying to open a CSV file via ArcObjects but what will that be fed into?  Will you be geocoding it?

The reason I ask is that there might be an easier way to do this with geoprocessing.

Brad

0 Kudos