Labels Question and save as a new file with preserve labels symbology ?

07-26-2016 10:29 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello, As I am setting my layers up on my ArcMap and they all have the same attribute names and numbers, I have set up the symbology for each road and use the define classes of features and label each class differently I want to set to.

My question is how do I preserve the define classes of features and label each classes differently when I export to a new shapefile ? Will I need to re-do all over again ? Is there a toolbar to let me to save it and display without having to go through all over again ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

Use the Labelling toolbar in ArcMap. I also find that it helps to turn on Maplex Label Engine as well.

A quick tour of the Labeling toolbar—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Exercise 1: Enabling the Maplex Label Engine and adding the Labeling toolbar—Help | ArcGIS for Deskt... 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and there is this link Saving layers and layer packages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  which also references labelling

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

The Layer package seem to work best when you want to preserve the layer I need to save. Actually I use the Consolidate Layer that I need to save 5 more layers with different names.

0 Kudos