Select to view content in your preferred language

KMZ to shapefile - How to preserve pop up info

Jump to solution
10-16-2014 06:46 AM
MaddyBrumberg
Deactivated User

Hello All!

I am trying to convert information from a KMZ to a shapefile and whenever I do, I cant seem to get the pop up information to come through.  It is my impression that this information is supposed to come through when using ESRI's conversion tool.

Anyone have any suggestions?

22 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

"Dynamic" means a translation can output whatever attribution is in the input, but HTML in popups cannot be interrogated this way so we are reduced to hard coding field handling.  This is why KML is a risky format for sharing.  I edited the tool so that it will ignore failed features, see if that helps.

If possible ask for KML with a schema object in it - then you can go dynamic.

GregGunn
Emerging Contributor

We had the same problem. It was maddening. Fortunately, my boss found an easy solution, MyGeodata Converter. It's an on line tool that's extremely versatile and inexpensive - three free conversions a month with a limit of 5 MB, or $7/month for 200 MB and 30 conversions, with other plans available. It worked flawlessly on a large kml file. The resulting shapefile contained all the fields from the pop-up. There are many conversion tools, GIS and CAD, for vector and raster data. It's like a Swiss Army knife for geospatial data. We love it. And, no, I do not work for them. We do land surveying and GIS.

MichaelFalk
Occasional Contributor

Great Tip! I which Esri had an easier solution like this built into their KML to shapefile tool in ArcPro but this site you mentioned   MyGeodata Converter worked way better. I was trying to update some shapefiles in ArcPro and jumping back and forth to Googlemaps, so I decided to pull the layer into googleEarth and update, then saved as kml. However when I tried to import back into ArcPro the attribute fields were all messed up. Not so with MyGeodata Converter . Everything was back in place 🙂 with my edits saved. Thanks again!

0 Kudos