Joining annotation text to a shape file attribute field

06-13-2012 07:21 PM
JamesBoggs
New Contributor II
I have a map with an annotation text layer and a polygon shape file layer of parcels. In roughly the center of each polygon is a placed annotation text string with the acres (according to a deed) of that parcel. In the polygon shape file�??s attribute table I calculated the area in acres. Many of the parcel polygons calculated acres are a different acreage than what they should be according to the annotation text.

I would like to compare the calculated acreage vs. the text annotation acreage to see how many acres +\- they differ.

Can I somehow add a field to the polygon attribute table and place the annotation text string into the polygon attribute table based on the overlap of the annotation and polygon? Since they are different types of data I cannot do a merge and neither attribute table has a common field so I cannot do a join or relate. I thought that since the annotation text overlaps the polygon there would be a way to somehow join or merge the annotation text string to a field in the attribute table in the same row of the polygon that the annotation sits on. Is there any way to do what I want to do?

I am very new to ArcGIS and to GIS in general so sorry if my question is confusing or I am using incorrect terminology. I hope you can understand what I am trying to do.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
OznurGeze
New Contributor III

Do you have any update on this? I have a similar issue and would like to have some advice if you had any progress. 

Good day!

0 Kudos