Select to view content in your preferred language

Iso Unsupervised Classification

Jump to solution
06-18-2012 07:01 AM
GeospatialTechnology
Deactivated User
Hello,

Just a couple of questions about the Iso Unsupervised Classification function in the Image Classification Toolbar to make sure I understand what I'm doing.

For Minimal Class Size ArcGIS Desktop help states:

"??? To provide the sufficient statistics necessary to generate a signature file for a future classification, each cluster should contain enough cells to accurately represent the cluster. The value entered for the minimum class size should be approximately 10 times larger than the number of layers in the input raster bands"

How do I find out the number of layers in the input raster bands? Is this simply the number of bands. So for example for a RGB aerial photograph with 3 bands the minimal class size would be 30?

For sample interval ArcGIS Desktop help states:
"
??? The value entered for the sample interval indicates one cell out of every n-by-n block of cells is used in the cluster calculations"

So for a sample interval of 10 on cell out of every 10 by 10 block of cells in used in the cluster calculations?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XuguangWang
Esri Contributor
The Sample Interval parameter is there to accelerate the execution of IsoCluster process.

A large Sample Interval tends to skip small features on the image. If you are trying to identify small features on the image, use a smaller Sample Interval.

The default value (10) supplied for Sample Interval on the tool dialog should be good for most use cases.

Thanks,
Xuguang

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XuguangWang
Esri Contributor
Yes, your understanding is correct for both statements.
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Deactivated User
Thanks Xuguang, is there way to determine the optimum sample interval size for a particular raster dataset?
0 Kudos
XuguangWang
Esri Contributor
The Sample Interval parameter is there to accelerate the execution of IsoCluster process.

A large Sample Interval tends to skip small features on the image. If you are trying to identify small features on the image, use a smaller Sample Interval.

The default value (10) supplied for Sample Interval on the tool dialog should be good for most use cases.

Thanks,
Xuguang
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Deactivated User
Thanks Xuguang, yes im trying to identify small features. I'll play around with some different values and see which gives the best results. Thanks for your help in this.
0 Kudos