Is it possible to use a REST geocoding service to batch geocode?

12-07-2011 05:39 PM
AshleyIgnatius
New Contributor
I have a weblink to a REST geocoding service, that I have been able to geocode one address at a time. I have 5,000 addresses to geocode and I would prefer to use this REST service.  Is there a way to batch geocode using this REST service. (I.e. some function in arcmap...I can some how tie to this REST service?)?

Thanks!

(I've only batch geocoded before using something like batchgeo.com and I think gosh I have got to somehow be able to use local address data from a REST service)

*Ashley
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
If you can add the [published] locator to an arcmap or arccatalog session you'll be able to use it just like a local locator; it may be a little slower depending on connection speeds and the server it's actually on.  You'll need a connection through 'GIS Servers' in acrcatalog estblished; simply 'add address locator'.

See attached image; back to front, adding a published locator from a server I maintain.

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

One way to do this would be to code the job as a Python script tool.  If your endpoint supports request and response compression make sure to use that as otherwise the packets will be big.

Regards
0 Kudos
AshleyIgnatius
New Contributor
If you can add the [published] locator to an arcmap or arccatalog session you'll be able to use it just like a local locator; it may be a little slower depending on connection speeds and the server it's actually on.  You'll need a connection through 'GIS Servers' in acrcatalog estblished; simply 'add address locator'.

See attached image; back to front, adding a published locator from a server I maintain.

Hope this helps-

Hi there,
I went ahead and added/connected to the service, in ArcCatalog by adding a GIS Server. (I added the "main page"/"service directory" http:// link,  and I can see the services in my ArcCatalog - Catalog Tree, including the geocoding service I want to use.  (Note this is not hosted locally, it's on a local government website somewhere).

In ArcMap, I went to use the "Geocode Addresses" Tool, and for Input Address Locator, I navigated to GIS Servers\ArcGIS ............\..... GeocodeServer

When I did so, I recieved the "000732 : <value>: Dataset <value> does not exist or is not supported" error.

Does this make sense?  Could it be that I am looking at the service both in ArcCatalog & ArcMap and I should close one (that's my go to solution 🙂 )

I think I'm missing the "Add Locator" step, but I'm a little lost as to how to do that...Suggestions?

Thanks!
Ashley
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi there,
I went ahead and added/connected to the service, in ArcCatalog by adding a GIS Server. (I added the "main page"/"service directory" http:// link,  and I can see the services in my ArcCatalog - Catalog Tree, including the geocoding service I want to use.  (Note this is not hosted locally, it's on a local government website somewhere).

In ArcMap, I went to use the "Geocode Addresses" Tool, and for Input Address Locator, I navigated to GIS Servers\ArcGIS ............\..... GeocodeServer

When I did so, I recieved the "000732 : <value>: Dataset <value> does not exist or is not supported" error.

Does this make sense?  Could it be that I am looking at the service both in ArcCatalog & ArcMap and I should close one (that's my go to solution 🙂 )

I think I'm missing the "Add Locator" step, but I'm a little lost as to how to do that...Suggestions?

Thanks!
Ashley

The only thing I can think of is the tool may be goofing on you.  I don't have a 10.x version in front of me so I don't know if this has changed.  In 9.3.1 or earlier, click on the tools menu, pull down to geocoding, and select Address Locator Manager.  In the dialog box presented, click ADD and navigate to your service.  That's how I've always done it, and that's the method I used for the screen shots in my last post.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
AshleyIgnatius
New Contributor
The only thing I can think of is the tool may be goofing on you.  I don't have a 10.x version in front of me so I don't know if this has changed.  In 9.3.1 or earlier, click on the tools menu, pull down to geocoding, and select Address Locator Manager.  In the dialog box presented, click ADD and navigate to your service.  That's how I've always done it, and that's the method I used for the screen shots in my last post.

Hope this helps!

I have another machine with 9.3 and I will fire that up 🙂 Thanks!
0 Kudos
AshleyIgnatius
New Contributor

Hope this helps!

Woohoo, I figured it out in 10. (it pretty much was an 'operator error' 🙂 ) needed to turn on the geocoding tool bar (not go through toolbox) ...manage address locators...address locator manager...add (essential what you had suggested)

Very excited to not geocode one at a time! 🙂 Thanks much!
0 Kudos
KristiFuller
New Contributor

Hi Ashley,

I am trying to get a single address input return from a rest geocoding service using version 10 also but using a model or script - I got the same error message you mentioned.  If you have any tips or tricks or helpful items you would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Glad it worked out for you Ashley!
0 Kudos
baileyhanson
New Contributor
How would you do this in a web service rather than in Desktop?
0 Kudos