Is it possible to EXPORT a Dimension feature class from SDE into a geodatabase?

03-07-2014 11:53 AM
JenniferPeterson
New Contributor II
Is it possible to EXPORT a Dimension feature class from SDE into a file or personal geodatabase?  I would also like to clip the Dimension feature class once it has been exported from SDE.  We end up with polygons the shape of the dimension with all the methods we have tried so far.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Have you tried just copying this special annotation class (of which ArcSDE has
no knowledge) using ArcGIS?  It's unlikely that any database or ArcSDE export
process would ever capture this data.

- V
0 Kudos
JenniferPeterson
New Contributor II
I see I should have worded the question differently... I can successfully copy the entire feature class.  When I CLIP out a subset of the dimension features they turn into a polygon the shape of the dimension.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Since dimensions are a special type of annotation, I wouldn't recommend trying to do
geodata processing on the underlying geometries.

- V
0 Kudos
JenniferPeterson
New Contributor II
I often have to provide a subset of data to an outside contractor and they would like to have the dimensions.  The only options I have come up with is 1. Give them the entire dataset that consists of 150,000+ records or 2. delete all unnecessary records (this is too time consuming with the large feature class).  I guess I could make a selection layer and use it in the MXD.  That will benefit the requester of they use the MXD but I suspect that not all of them do that.  If those are my only options then ok, but I figured I might be another way.  Thanks.
0 Kudos