is ArcScan limited to non-georeferenced images?

Jump to solution
10-21-2014 09:00 AM
AnnaBuchheit
New Contributor III

Hi There,

I have been trying out the ArcSCAN feature and been having fun exploring the tool.  I have been through the tutorials and have gone through the pains of trying to classify an RGB .tif file.  I have even generated vectors to my great pleasure; however, this was all testing the tool with a .tif file with no spatial data.  once I introduce a georeferenced .tif, the ArcSCAN toolbar does not allow me to select it and it remains greyed out in the drop down menu.  I have even played around with a 1-bit line art converted .tif file but the minute I update the georeferencing, the image is no longer available to use with ArcSCAN.

I have not found any discussion about this, so I wonder if there is something I am missing.  I can't imagine that ESRI would provide a tool that could generate numerous line features or polygons that the user would then have to manual move to it's proper spatial location.

Does anyone know of a solution? are there settings I have missed?

Keep in mind that I have successfully used the tool and generated vectors using non-georeferenced images.

Thanks!

Anna

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnnaBuchheit
New Contributor III

alright, since I have not found any help online,  I have collaborated with a colleague and discovered that you cannot use an image that has been georeferenced *unless* it is completely rectified.  The minute you "update georeferencing" or switch transformations the image is no longer available to vectorize using ArcScan.  You have to select "Rectify" and save the image before the tool will open that image to vectorization.  It had stumped me because we tend not to Rectify images if we are just using it  one time to digitize features due to the large file it creates and limited storage for thousands of images.

Anyhow, that's what was discovered!  hope it helps others!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnnaBuchheit
New Contributor III

alright, since I have not found any help online,  I have collaborated with a colleague and discovered that you cannot use an image that has been georeferenced *unless* it is completely rectified.  The minute you "update georeferencing" or switch transformations the image is no longer available to vectorize using ArcScan.  You have to select "Rectify" and save the image before the tool will open that image to vectorization.  It had stumped me because we tend not to Rectify images if we are just using it  one time to digitize features due to the large file it creates and limited storage for thousands of images.

Anyhow, that's what was discovered!  hope it helps others!

0 Kudos
MarkSzegner
New Contributor III

Hi, I had the same problem with ArcGIS Advanced 10.3 today, you've confirmed what I thought might be the case, quickly, at least I can get on with my work now with a resolution. Not checked yet if there any updates to 10.3 to fix this or maybe its not a fault and just the way it is.

Cheers

Mark

0 Kudos