Interpolating a concave point cloud avoiding pixelated raster output

Jump to solution
10-03-2013 03:56 AM
JosselineLou
New Contributor
Hello, I have a problem with clipping a raster,
first of all, I had LIDAR files in .asc format, I created a point cloud shapefile out of it and try to interpolate the shape to have an elevation raster.
That's where my problem is :
- I first used Natural Neighbor tool, the raster was fine but as the point cloud is concave, ArcGIS filled the concavities where it should have let them empty.
- I then created a polygon following the shape of the point cloud in order to run a clipping process, but after the clip done, the output raster was really pixelated. (I also tried the Extract by Mask tool, same problem)
- Finally I tried an interpolation by Spline using Spline with Barriers tool choosing my polygon feature as extent but after one hour and eleven minutes of processing (indeed, 3 000 000 points cannot be interpolated in a minute) it crashed...

Here I come trying to avoid nervous breakdown or burning down my computer, hoping that you're gonna come out with a brilliant idea. I'm just looking for a decent interpolation of a concave point cloud.
Thanks in advance,
Take care,

Joss

Edit : Here are two pictures of : first, the raster before clipping, interpolated using Natural Neighbor, second, the raster clipped using the polygon created from the point cloud.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27995[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: stevelynch

Many tools use a custom renderer. Natural Neighbor will use one for the colors and will use a "nearest neighbor" resampling for display. ExtractByMask does not use a custom renderer. Therefore, right click on ExtractByMask  output raster layer in your TOC and choose Properties... and change as shown below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28005[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: stevelynch

Many tools use a custom renderer. Natural Neighbor will use one for the colors and will use a "nearest neighbor" resampling for display. ExtractByMask does not use a custom renderer. Therefore, right click on ExtractByMask  output raster layer in your TOC and choose Properties... and change as shown below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28005[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JosselineLou
New Contributor
Thank you very much for the tip, it worked like a charm !
Take care,

Joss
0 Kudos