Intensity Return from Lidar

07-14-2011 02:46 AM
AmitMhalas
New Contributor
I have Lidar data (for England) in .img (Imagine Image format) and just has elevation information. Can anyone tell me if its possible to obtain intensity return information from it?

I am looking to extract features from Lidar data especially houses.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
Intensity is the 8-bit reflective intensity of the photons returning to the sensor. As such this is an independent attribute and cannot be derived from the elevation information. There has been some success using mathematical morphological operators or Wavelets to extract features in lidar derived all-return height images.
0 Kudos
AmitMhalas
New Contributor
Intensity is the 8-bit reflective intensity of the photons returning to the sensor. As such this is an independent attribute and cannot be derived from the elevation information. There has been some success using mathematical morphological operators or Wavelets to extract features in lidar derived all-return height images.

Thanks Jeff.
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
If you have the raw LAS files then intensity is an attribute that can be extracted against each return in the file. Much like the classification values or return values. However, if you have an .img file then the Lidar has already gone through processing and the intensity is no longer available. You simly have the DEM or DSM from the original Lidar. You will need to go back to the original Lidar files to obtain the intensity values.
0 Kudos