Intalling SDE Service Pack 1 and 2 before connecting with Oracle

05-22-2011 11:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tariqchpk@yahoo.com
Original Date: 2011-05-23T00:21:53-0600

On web help we find Installation steps of upgrading existing geodatabase (ArcSDE 10) with Service Pack 1 or service Pack 2 patches. Is there a way of Applying/installing these patches first and then create a geodatabase instead of upgradation?

I am using

Oracle 11g R2 64 bit on a separate oracle server installed on Windows 2008 Server 64 bit
Oracle 11g R2 64 bit Client for direct connection to oracle
ArcSDE 10 64 bit installed on Windows 2008 Server 64 bit
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ujjwalesri

I hope I am getting your question correctly.

You can install ArcSDE, go about installing the various SPs and finally create the Geodatabase.

There is no requirement to create a geodatabase first and then upgrade. That could be a scenario whe you're already using the geodatabase and the SP  is released after some time.

Let me know in case you meant something else...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tariqchpk75

Does it mean that Service Pack 1 and 2 patches can be run before ArcSDE post installation steps?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
At initial install it's always wise to cancel the post-installer that starts after install, and apply
one of the most recent service packs (N or N-1). Given the trouble others have been having
with 10sp2 you might want to wait on sp2 deployment and just install 10sp1.

You do not ever need to apply multiple service packs, since, by definition, they are always
cumulative (spN always includes the fixes of sp1...sp[N-1]).

At ArcSDE 10 and higher, the upgrade process is done through ArcCatalog (if you have any
geodatabase functionality in use).  In this case, you would need a 32-bit Oracle client on
the Catalog upgrade host for Direct Connect (which is required for upgrade).

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tariqchpk75

Can not we use 64 bit Oracle Client for direct connection for ArcSDE 10 64 bit and Oracle 11g R2 64 bit installed on separate server having Windows 2008 Server 64bit OS?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Yes, you can use 64-bit Oracle for a 64-bit ArcSDE application.  But ArcCatalog s only
available as a 32-bit application (until 10.1 is released), so it requires a 32-bit Oracle
client.  Catalog is only required to upgrade a geodatabase, not for initial install.

- V
0 Kudos