Incorrect display of jp2 images from ERDAS ERMapper

09-23-2013 08:16 PM
StewartJefferys
New Contributor
I have created some jp2 images in ERMapper 2013, also some ecws from the same datasets. When displayed in ArcMap 10.0 SP5, the ecws are in the correct geographic location, but the jp2 images have their lat/long coords inverted. Earlier versions of ERMapper/ArcMap didnt cause this problem.

Which software is causing the problem, and can it be fixed?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
I have created some jp2 images in ERMapper 2013, also some ecws from the same datasets. When displayed in ArcMap 10.0 SP5, the ecws are in the correct geographic location, but the jp2 images have their lat/long coords inverted. Earlier versions of ERMapper/ArcMap didnt cause this problem.

Which software is causing the problem, and can it be fixed?

Just quickly try one image (UTM/WGS 84 & local datum) to export JP2 with ER Mapper 2013 SP1 (that is, 'ERDASIMAGINE2013_13.00.0001.exe') and looks OK for ArcGIS 10.0 SP5 (no errors spatially).

Regards,
0 Kudos
StewartJefferys
New Contributor
I tried using WGS84 but it still didnt work. This is also doesnt solve my problem as I have over 100 jp2 files to do.

I then installed v11.1 ecw plugin for ArcMap. This did not fix the jp2 projection issue, and also stopped the viewing of ECWs created in ERMapper v7. When I uninstalled this plugin, I could no longer view any ECWs in ArcMap so Im now worse off than when I started without any solution to the jp2 issue.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
...  WGS84 but it still didnt work. This is also doesnt solve my problem as I have over 100 jp2 files to do.

...  v11.1 ecw plugin for ArcMap....

It seems that you are correct.

On your description, an image with Geodetic /WGS 84 (lat/lon) is tested and exported into JP2 by ERDAS ER Mapper 2013. The output JP2 images from ER Mapper 2013 rotates and shifts within 10.0 SP 5, 10.1 SP1, and 10.2.

Pls be realized with the following facts:

[INDENT]*. JP2 with Geodetic/WGS 84 from ER Mapper 2013 is OK in ERDAS Imagine 2013; but has errors in ArcGIS 10.x and ENVI 5.0;
*. JP2 with Geodetic/WGS84 from ER Mapper 2011 works in in ArcGIS 10.x and ENVI 5.0;
*. JP2 with Geodetic/WGS84 from ERDAS Imagine 2013 works well in ArcGIS 10.x and ENVI 5.0;
*. JP2 with UTM/WGS 84 or local datum from ER Mapper/ERDAS Imagine also works fine in ArcGIS 10.x and ENVI 5.0.[/INDENT]

Generally, three things should be mentioned for consideration: First, it looks that ER Mapper 2013 could have bugs related to JP2, when it has Geodetic /wgs84 from ER Mapper 2013. Secondly, for the solution to massive JP2 generation in operation, it is good idea to use ERDAS Imagine (rather than ER Mapper). Also, advisable to test in other workstations, if ECW not accessable to ArcGIS in your machine.

++++++++++

By the way, not necessary to install the plug-in �??ECW for ArcGIS�?? to view ECW in ArcGIS (desktop). However, if loading ECW files into MD and then served as image services, it is good to install �??ECW for ArcGIS Server�??. Read the discussion at http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/85413-ecw-4-arcgis-server-10.1-(2013)?p=303061&viewfull=1#post30306...
0 Kudos
StewartJefferys
New Contributor
Larry
Thanks for that post, it clears up practically everything. I have tested ERM2013 jp2 geodetic images in ArcMap10.1 and the same problem of inverting coords happened.
Im currently exporting the jp2 from Imagine to see if that works as stated.
Larry, do you work for ESRI?
Cheers
Stewart
0 Kudos