importing excel file issue

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 08:47 AM
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am struggling with something I have being doing many many times before.

I want to import an excel file with some coordinates In ArcGIS 10.2.2 but when I try to import it (either via the "Add in" button and via drag and drop) I get a strange error message (please see screenshot below).

I have tried to import also some old excel sheets that have previously worked but I have the same message.Also the icons on the top right look not active for some reason (pale grey- see the red circle)

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Francesca... It sounds like the workaround patch may be the issue... but I still recommend using the Excel to Table and Table to Excel tools provided on esri, which actually is more aware of the needs of the conversions, rather than rely on an operating system change... especially when you consider that you have not control at some level as to what changes it will make.  The couple of extra clicks is worth the comfort in knowing that more effort has gone into making a better more reliable conversion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

didn't the Excel to Table tool exist in 10.2.2? it did in 10.3 and that tool handles a lot of stuff that can't be handled by shortcuts like trying to add it directly

francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

many thanks for your reply. Actually the conversion from excel to table did work.

To me it looks still a bit odd I was not able to import my excel sheet via "Add Data" tool as I have always done that.

To be honest normally I import quite big excel sheet (I mean many rows and columns) and I have never had this issue. This time was just about 10 values, so really I do not know what did happen. It looks like suddenly some tools are not active anymore. Is it possible it is due to some windows updates? My computer run some updates in the last few days...

Many thanks indeed as my job is done anyway but if I could understand what happened it would be great.

Have a nice day

F

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Francesca... It sounds like the workaround patch may be the issue... but I still recommend using the Excel to Table and Table to Excel tools provided on esri, which actually is more aware of the needs of the conversions, rather than rely on an operating system change... especially when you consider that you have not control at some level as to what changes it will make.  The couple of extra clicks is worth the comfort in knowing that more effort has gone into making a better more reliable conversion.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

Your solution fixed my problem two yeas ago. However, my coworker is having the same error. I believe he needs that driver as well. Do you have any idea where to download it? Microsoft has moved it.

0 Kudos