Importing an excel worksheet into a file geodatabase

01-09-2014 06:42 AM
SohailDham
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to import an excel worksheet into a file geodatabase using the Table to Geodatabase (multiple) tool within ArcCatalog but everytime I run it Arc gives me an error saying that "Failed to execute (Copy Rows)". I have imported many excel files into the same file geodatabase recently but at that time no errors were encountered, so that is why I don't understand why I get error this time. I think it is because this time the excel worksheet has some cells that have information in multiple pararaphs so the data in the same cell is separated by spaces.

Please let me know what the issue is this time and how I could fix it or work around it to get the excel worksheet into the file geodatabase.

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Happens sometimes.

could be an issue with which version of office it was generated in and there could be imbedded macros or something.

Try creating the table first in the geodatabase and then using the data loader.

Or open the file in Excel and save it as a .csv then import the .csv to a table

Hello,

I am trying to import an excel worksheet into a file geodatabase using the Table to Geodatabase (multiple) tool within ArcCatalog but everytime I run it Arc gives me an error saying that "Failed to execute (Copy Rows)". I have imported many excel files into the same file geodatabase recently but at that time no errors were encountered, so that is why I don't understand why I get error this time. I think it is because this time the excel worksheet has some cells that have information in multiple pararaphs so the data in the same cell is separated by spaces.

Please let me know what the issue is this time and how I could fix it or work around it to get the excel worksheet into the file geodatabase.

Thanks
0 Kudos
SohailDham
New Contributor
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I was trying the first option you provided me with and I have created a table in Arc now but how to you get to the data loader in order to get the excel worsksheet data in the file geodatabase?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
SohailDham
New Contributor
Hello,

I found the simple data loader and it lets me input the excel file, however it is only inputting the first field of information and all other fields have been labelled properly but the values are all showing up as <null>. Is there a reason for why the first field displays properly but not the others?

Thank You.

Happens sometimes.

could be an issue with which version of office it was generated in and there could be imbedded macros or something.

Try creating the table first in the geodatabase and then using the data loader.

Or open the file in Excel and save it as a .csv then import the .csv to a table
0 Kudos
benberman
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Thanks

That process would likely fail because Microsoft Excel is propriatary(sp) software and therefore won't execute through ESRI geoprocessing commands. You will want to go Table to Table first and get it into .dbf/dbase format then try re-executing the Table to Geodatabase command.
0 Kudos