Import XML schema by SDE command or python script

01-03-2014 05:54 AM
ab1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hello,

I have an XML schema file of feature classes.
I'd like to be able to import that schema into a geodatabase using SDE command or Python script. I don't want to use ArcCatalog.

Do you know how I could do that?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can use the Import XML Workspace Document function.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
I'm using 10.0. It doesn't seem to exist in this version.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
There are no ArcSDE command-line tools to import geodatabase XML.  Attempting
to mix-n-match geodatabase and ArcSDE concepts will get you into trouble very
quickly. Since the command-line tools are now deprecated, it's probably best to
learn how to tackle this problem using ArcGIS tools exclusively.  Using older tools
will make this more difficult (10.0 is now the oldest supported release of ArcGIS,
in "Mature" status [9.3.1 was retired earlier this week]).

- V
0 Kudos
ab1
by
Ok thanks!
I understand from what you're saying that in versions 10.1 and 10.2 there are no arcsde command lines. Is it right?
I thought ArcSDE and Geodatabase were complimentary homogeneous concepts, since ArcSDE is a particular type of Geodatabase?
Do you know when the support for 10.0 is going to stop?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III

I understand from what you're saying that in versions 10.1 and 10.2 there are no arcsde command lines. Is it right?

The administration command line tools is included with the setup of ArcSDE application server (ArcSDE 10.1 & 10.2/ refer the screenshot).

The ArcGIS 10.2 series of releases (ArcGIS 10.2, 10.2.1, AND 10.2.2) will be the last releases that include the ArcSDE command line tools.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

I understand from what you're saying that in versions 10.1 and 10.2 there are no
arcsde command lines. Is it right?

No.  The 10.2.x family will be the last release to have command-line (and API and
application server) support for ArcSDE.

I thought ArcSDE and Geodatabase were complimentary homogeneous concepts,
since ArcSDE is a particular type of Geodatabase?

No, that is not correct.  ArcSDE was used to make a type of geodatabase, but key
pieces of geodatabase implementation reside within ArcObjects.  ArcSDE is currently
accessible as a foundational technology (to both ArcGIS and developers), but that
has been causing so much confusion with folks trying to use it interchangeably with
ArcGIS (and corrupting their geodatabases in the process) that support is being
eliminated.

Do you know when the support for 10.0 is going to stop?

No.  10.0 retirement will be announced once the post-10.2 release is announced
(the general policy is to have release N "Current", N-1 in "Extended", N-2 in "Mature"
and N-3+ as "Retired").  At present, "N" is 10.2.x, "N-1" is 10.1, and "N-2" 10.0.

- V
0 Kudos
ab1
by
No.  The 10.2.x family will be the last release to have command-line (and API and
application server) support for ArcSDE.

Does it mean that there will be no need to install ArcSDE on the server side?
Will desktop (and ArcPy) have direct access to Oracle/PostGIS/... geodatabases?
What about the post-install on DB side?

ArcSDE is currently accessible as a foundational technology (to both ArcGIS and developers)

What do you mean by foundational technology?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Does it mean that there will be no need to install ArcSDE on the server side?

It means there won't be an ArcSDE to install server side.

Will desktop (and ArcPy) have direct access to Oracle/PostGIS/... geodatabases?
What about the post-install on DB side?

I'm not on the design team, so I only have speculation to work from, but my understanding
is that utilities like "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" will continue to exist, but that all client
connections will be Direct Connect.  Basically, it will be more of what's avaliable at 10.2,
but without the geodatabse-incompatible ArcSDE tools.

What do you mean by foundational technology?

Databases and operating systems are foundational technologies.  ArcSDE currently serves
many roles, but the biggest one is to standardize access to databases.  The technology will
continue to be used, but the parts that have been exposed for three-tier and API access
will be removed, and the functions that only command-line provided will be replaced with
Python and ArcToolbox access.

- V
0 Kudos
ab1
by
Wow, what you're saying is "exciting". I'm looking forward to upgrading to the future version!
Data management will be much simpler !

Thanks for the info 🙂
0 Kudos