Import Microstation elements with Tags into ArgGIS 10.2 will not import.

04-30-2014 11:11 AM
MarkItil
New Contributor II
We have been working on a couple of issues with ArcGIS 10.2 and our Microstation files.  After much testing I am finding that elements such as shapes or cells that have Microstation tags attached when imported into 10.2 will not display.  The shape and or cell does not display nor the tags. 

Our typical process is to attach tag data to cells that represent shapes.  In previous versions of ArcGIS they displayed with no problem along with their attribute table.  With 10.2 it appears they do not import at all.  I have tried our standard cells and also a simple shape with tag data attached.  There is no error and the shape will not import/display.

There is another issue with displaying in the correct location but that has been addressed in another thread and from what I have read is on the fix list for 10.2.2.

I would like to know if this issue with the tag itself is being addressed in 10.2.2.  I did not find any reference to it in the 10.2.2 Issues addressed list.

In my testing I found a workaround for both issues but would like to be able to import the DGN file directly as prior to the 10.2 release.  My fix was to change my Microstation DWG save as options in the general tab from (Basic - Units - Master Units) to (Basic - Units - Feet).  Then convert the file to AutoCAD and import the AutoCAD file.  The file came in with all tag data and in the correct geographic location.

If someone could please tell me if the CAD reader will be fixed to read the Microstation Tags in correctly in the next release I would greatly appreciate it..  I would at least like to know if this is a known issue.

Thank You!
Mark
UofM
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarlWaltjen
New Contributor

I have had no trouble importing the tags. Make sure that in your Microstation file that the tags are turned ON in the view properties (ctrl-b). The same may apply for your cell data. Good luck.

0 Kudos