Imagery and Raster Data - Exporting from ArcGIS to use in my gps as background

07-09-2012 06:31 PM
melissashippey
New Contributor
OK: i have figured out how to export an mxd file as either a jpeg, tiff, or even bmp file and check "write world file" when in data view.  Then i go into Arc Catalog, right click on the raster file to set the correct coordinate system to NAD 1983 so it matches what my GPS is set to, then i use Pathfinder office to transfer the newly exported tiff file (raster data set) into my GPS as a background layer to be used in the field etc....

So, my problem is when i am in the MAP function of my Trimble GeoXH handheld instrument, i can select the imported tiff or then it is called a background layer file to open in the GPS so  you can see the map but i get an error message telling me that i did not set the correct coordinate system for this file and it will not be loaded.  Then it also tells me that the coordinate system nominated for this file is WGS 1984, which is not what i set the tiff file to in Arc Catalog.

I am wondering if there is another step along the whole process here where i can reset the coordinate system the tiff file wants to display in so it stays as NAD1983 and does not switch back to some default setting like WGS 1984.....

anyone care to take a shot at this????

thanks,
Melissa
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you mxd has a coordinate system prior to your export and then you manually modify it in ArcCatalog, you are probably creating an improperly defined raster.  It may be causing the problem that your original map is in WGS 1984, which has the extents in degrees and when you 'define' it in ArcCatalog as NAD 83 you are creating the problem, since the name of the projection changed, but the data was not projected.  I would recommend altering the mxd's coordinate system to the one you want and then retry, skipping the step in ArcCatalog.  That should allow the exported map to appear in your mobile device.
0 Kudos