I need help importing an excel file with length and area coordinates to create a polygon layer.

10-18-2017 11:48 AM
MicheleLong1
New Contributor

I need help importing an excel file with length and area coordinates to create a polygon layer. This is likely a stupid question, but I tend to learn as I go.  I originally exported the polygon layer from a Geodatabase Feature Class to Excel so I could do a lot of data filtering. I didn't make any changes to the information it had for the polygons. It had area and length information instead of x/y coordinates. (Shape_STAr, Shape_STLe; Shape_Leng, Shape_Area - if that means anything) 

I now want to reload the final version back into ArcGis. There is no Lat/Lon (x/y) data, just shape area and length. Did I need to create some new fields before I exported the original file? I'd have to have to start all over, after all the work of editing the original file.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If both Feature Class Attribute Table and the Excel Sheet have common fields with unique values (e.g. FID/OID), then you might be able to attach the excel sheet data to the attribute table using Join. Joining attributes in one table to another—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop .

It would be better, if you could attach a sample excel sheet for our reference.

Think Location
MicheleLong1
New Contributor

I just attached a portion of the excel file - removed the sensitive information. The fields are mostly the same - I added some and deleted others. I also deleted out a lot of rows from the original database, for landowners not covered in this project.

0 Kudos
MicheleLong1
New Contributor

Thanks - my polygons are of property boundaries and are not uniform - some have curved boundaries too.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing the sample excel sheet. The only way I see is to join the excel sheet with the attribute table of the Polygon Feature Class, if only the Object_ID of XLS file matches the corresponding FID/OID of the attribute table (using Join, as stated above).

Think Location
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just used this in an application; I'm just creating a four corner polygon so the xy pairs are easy.  Maybe it will help.

https://community.esri.com/message/226898?commentID=226898#comment-226898 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos