I don't see the XY fields in "Dsiplay XY"

Jump to solution
12-07-2016 05:07 AM
AncaUrsu
New Contributor II

I am unable to display the coordinates XY since I do not visualise the fields containing them into the drop-down menu of the "Display XY" or Make XY Event layer. The fields are perfectly fine in the tables. There are no spaces, blanks. Tried imported the files as Excel, CSV, DBF. 

Ideas on why is this happening? Solutions? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Check the original text version.  Why are you using some Aoi_ID for the X field?  that should be a longitude field.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Can you show a picture of your data here, or post some example.

It is likely that they are being interpreted as text fields rather than as numbers.

0 Kudos
AncaUrsu
New Contributor II

This is how my data looks in excel.

0 Kudos
BillChappell
Occasional Contributor II

May have better luck bringing in the data as a CSV instead of an excel format.

AncaUrsu
New Contributor II

CSV had the same issue

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

What are your regional settings for the decimal separator? "." or ","?

0 Kudos
BillChappell

Bring it in to arcmap, save as dbf, then check it’s field properties in the dbf. I would bet they are string.

BillChappell

Check the field properties, very likely they are string for coordinates they need to be double. Might have to add new fields as doubles and calc the fields from the old string fields. Also check for things in the fields like commas as the software uses this to define them as strings.

AncaUrsu
New Contributor II

You are right! They are strings. I will have to convert them to doubles. Let's see how that works! Suggestions?

0 Kudos
BillChappell

Bring in the excel table to ArcMap, export it out as a dbf or GeoDatabase table, you have to export as ArcMap will not edit excel. Open the new table add in 2 new fields for the lat/Longs, define as double. Using the field calculator calculate their values to be the old lat/long fields, this should bring them over and save them as double.Once done, then right click on table, add X,Y enent and you should see the new fields. Make sure Lat is Y and Long is Z. Under projection, set it to 4326 / WGS 84 if it’s really Lat/Longs. The points should show up in the right place, if so then export out as Shapefile or FeatureClass and your done.