I can't find the Intermediate Relationship Class Table for M:N relationship

Jump to solution
07-13-2018 02:08 PM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I created a M:N Relationship Class using the Create Relationship Class Tool.  I can see the Relationship object in ArcCatalog, but I do not see any Intermediate Relationship Class Table, so I cannot add the table to ArcMap as instructed in the second step of the Populating an Attributed Relationship Class Table (Intermediate Table) instructions.  I attached a screenshot of what I see.  The relationship class is named ADPS_RCFC_FACILITIES_AREA and is a M:N relationship between the ADPS feature class and the RCFC_FACILITIES_AREA feature class.  The RCFC_FACILITIES_LINE feature class is not part of the Relationship Class.  There is no intermediate table as far as I can see.  Where is it?

I can create relationships between features by following steps 4 thru 7 in the instructions, but I cannot do anything to populate the additional fields I added when I created the relationship since I do not see any intermediate table.  What am I supposed to be seeing that would let me do that?

I am using ArcMap 10.5.1, Windows 7.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I found out the answer to my question.  The table is embedded in the relationship class object in ArcCatalog and when you drag that object into the map it becomes a table with the relationship class name.  The table is not a true standalone table and its restricted in what you can do with it.  When it is in your map you can select and export records directly from the table view and when you activate a relate on the origin and destination of the relationship class the intermediate table will open and the related records of the intermediate table will be selected, but you cannot create any join or relate directly to the intermediate table or activate the relationship class relate directly through the intermediate table.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I found out the answer to my question.  The table is embedded in the relationship class object in ArcCatalog and when you drag that object into the map it becomes a table with the relationship class name.  The table is not a true standalone table and its restricted in what you can do with it.  When it is in your map you can select and export records directly from the table view and when you activate a relate on the origin and destination of the relationship class the intermediate table will open and the related records of the intermediate table will be selected, but you cannot create any join or relate directly to the intermediate table or activate the relationship class relate directly through the intermediate table.