How to Resize a Circle?

02-13-2011 03:57 PM
CurtAhlberg
New Contributor
I can not seem to find out to simply make a Circle Polygon Feature bigger or smaller!

Selecting the vertici only allows to move circle, and there doesn't seem to be any other options to resize a circle, right click menu etc..?? even pressing R key doesn't allow to change radius, am I missing something?

Many Thanks for your help 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelStead
Occasional Contributor III
I remember being frustrated by this before, you could try in your editing options changing the setting from only move the single vertice to modifying the shapes geometry relative to changes in vertices. You could also see if snapping has some setting that will grab the centoid (or convert your circles to centroids and snap to that) and just use ctrl r to create new circles of desired radius and merge those to the old circles to get the records across. If you are going from a bigger to a smaller circle you would have to intersect and then delete the leftovers.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
have you have ruled out just deleting the circle and recreating it using the correct radius?
0 Kudos
TimSpivey
Occasional Contributor III
have you have ruled out just deleting the circle and recreating it using the correct radius?

I tried that but all my circles came out curiously polar bear-shaped.

Seriously though, how does one draw a circle centered on a specific point on the ground (not a point feature)?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Tim
Couldn't get the polar bear tool to work 🙂  ...but if you are working with graphics, simply draw some circle on the dataframe, right-click on properties, set the anchor point to the middle of the bounding box, specify the centroid x and y and width.  If memory serves, you can do the same thing with points in a shapefile.
0 Kudos
DominicRorke
New Contributor II

You can do this as follows:

1. Start an edit session on the layer
  2. Double click the circular polygon feature to display its vertices.  On doing this, the 'Edit Vertices' toolbar will display.
  3. Select the 'Stretch proportionately' tool (3rd from right at ArcGIS 10.3.1).  See here for more info: http://resources.arcgis.com/EN/HELP/MAIN/10.2/index.html#//01m800000035000000
  4. Hover the cursor over the edge of the circular feature (though not over the one visible vertex).  The cursor icon will change.
  5. Left mouse click and you'll be able to drag the circle to re-size.

Note that this tool does not maintain the original polygons centroid.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It seemed to have worked for Tim Spivey​ to a degree, perhaps, he can elaborate

0 Kudos
France
by
New Contributor III

I followed domrorke's instructions and it worked most of the time.  When it stopped working, I clicked 'Add Vertex' on the 'Edit Vertices' toolbar, hovered the cursor over the edge of the circular feature (not on the one visible vertex), did a left mouse click and was able to drag to resize the circle.  An alternative if domrorke's instructions stop working, save your map, close and reopen ArcMap and the instructions should start working again.

0 Kudos
IndiraPokhrel
New Contributor

Hi,

I have over 100 circles with different radii but I wanted to make all the circles of the same radii. Do you have any shortcuts to resize them rather than doing them one by one?

Thanks,

Indi

0 Kudos
LenHealy1
New Contributor

One way you can do this is calculate the center of each circle and then buffer them with the desired distance.

0 Kudos