How to Reposition Features?

02-07-2018 12:00 PM
VitaliySelyuzhitskiy
New Contributor

Is there a way/tool/script to have ArcMap (ArcGIS 9.3 in my case) take the features (thousands of points with logged GPS coordinates) and reposition them by X amount of feet/meters in either direction?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Work with a copy!

I have done this with features. Just Edit the feature, select the records, right click on the Edit toolbar drop down menu and choose Move. This accepts plus or minus units. The units will default to those of your data frame, so if you want to use feet rather than, say, meters, type in "nn ft" into the box.

0 Kudos
VitaliySelyuzhitskiy
New Contributor

The features were plotted with a handheld GPS while in motion. Moving them as a bunch in the Editing mode, using the MOVE tool, only works great if points were plotted in a straight line. So, essentially, I am trying to re-position the points backward an X amount of feet, using an automated process. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Get the X, Y coordinates in the table, add two more X, Y fields, then a field calculation from your distance and direction values. 

Your distance from point A is the triangle hypoteneuse and your direction angle to point B can be converted trigonometrically to dx, dy values... Point A + dx, dy = Point B

I forgot... read as an event layer using the new x,y values

VitaliySelyuzhitskiy
New Contributor

I appreciate your input, Dan. 

Although this sounds promising, my math skills are covered in cobwebs. To be honest, I was hoping for a step by step type of guide as my scope within ArcGis is quite limited, given the short time I've spent with the software. Thanks for your reply though!

If anyone reading this post has time to further explain the process, and provided that it works and does what I need it to do, hell I'll buy you a giftcard! 

0 Kudos