How to populate Empty public.geometry_columns in ArcSDE 10.

03-06-2011 02:46 PM
TamerThamer
New Contributor II
How to populate Empty  public.geometry_columns in ArcSDE 10.

I�??ve used ArcCatalog �??ArcInfo (10) to import feature class to geodatabase (multiple) from one database to another.  But I find out that the public.geometry_columns is empty.

From Database:
select version();
                                              version
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PostgreSQL 8.3.9 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)

ArcSDE 9.3
PostGIS 1.4.2

To Database
select version();
                                                     version
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PostgreSQL 8.4.5 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48), 64-bit

ArcSDE 10
PostGIS 1.4.2

So how to populate public.geometry_columns.

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Hi allwin2002au,
The public.geometry_columns table will be populated if a layer is load with postgis geometry type. When you loaded data in ArcCatalog did you indicate the PG_GEOMETRY keyword? If you did not, and you did not alter the defaults in the dbtune table, than ArcCatalog will load with the GEOMETRY keyword by default with is the ESRI type.
Is there a record in the sde_layers table for the data you loaded? but no public. geometry_columns entry? Than that is most likely what had happened.
Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Hi again...

Another reason why the layer may not have been loaded properly even if you did specify the PG_GEOMETRY keyword would be privileges:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002p00000033000000.htm

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002p0000006v000000.htm

Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
TamerThamer
New Contributor II
Thank you Kasia

Yes you are right, I have to make the default storage is PG_GEOMETRY in dbtune.

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos