How to extract a single layer from a group of layer that I got from a server

Jump to solution
02-27-2016 07:55 AM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Hello.

I am working in Arcmap and  found the info I need, but it downloaded as a layer with many others imbedded into it...

I need to get ONE layer make it a raster and later a shape.

I used the Extract data, but because it is a group of layer and the title says Imagery/Elevation, I am unable to get through the step.. Also, I have no option to select the imagery alone or the elevation.

Any help will be appreciated.. I have similar problem with the street.

See layers attached..

Thank you.

C

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you add the ImageryDEM layer file to you TOC, and enter the properties of the service, you will find this.

The highlighted part shows the REST URL to the service. If go to the URL:

Folder: Imagery

... you will see that you loaded the MapService. What you want to use is this ImageService:

Imagery/ChathamDEM_2009 (ImageServer) ... which references the same data but now as an image service. If you connect to the server as a user like this:

You can add the image service "ChathamDEM_2009" found in the folder Imagery. You can see it has a different icon than the ElevationDEM you used:

This layer can be used for calculations. For instance after setting the proper extent and resolution, you can apply a simple calculation with the Raster Calculation:

Which will create a local raster dataset you can use for anything you want.

Do check if there are any restrictions that apply to the usage of the information.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved to Managing Data

0 Kudos
AjitkumarBabar
Occasional Contributor II

You cannot add or remove sublayers in the map service in the table of contents.

Kindly go through the below link;

ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If you add the ImageryDEM layer file to you TOC, and enter the properties of the service, you will find this.

The highlighted part shows the REST URL to the service. If go to the URL:

Folder: Imagery

... you will see that you loaded the MapService. What you want to use is this ImageService:

Imagery/ChathamDEM_2009 (ImageServer) ... which references the same data but now as an image service. If you connect to the server as a user like this:

You can add the image service "ChathamDEM_2009" found in the folder Imagery. You can see it has a different icon than the ElevationDEM you used:

This layer can be used for calculations. For instance after setting the proper extent and resolution, you can apply a simple calculation with the Raster Calculation:

Which will create a local raster dataset you can use for anything you want.

Do check if there are any restrictions that apply to the usage of the information.

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

great, Thank you so much

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Fantastic...

Thank you So much...

excellent trick.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

So it worked for you? If so, I'm glad and you could mark the question as answered, if not please indicate what is still missing.

XanderBakker

Hi Carole Wacta , thanks for marking the correct answer, but for other users it would be easier to find the solution if you would mark the actual post that answered your question as the correct answer.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

progress is incremental Xander ...

0 Kudos