How to Delete Area and or Length fields?

09-05-2018 11:36 AM
MattStull
New Contributor III

I want to preface my question by telling everyone who reads this that I have been a GIS pro since the 90's and have worked with ESRI products since that time, so here is my question...    I have a point feature class that has Area and Length fields that I can't delete (I'm aware that some fields can't be deleted).  It doesn't make sense to me why a point feature class would need area and length fields.  Is there a way I can delete them other than creating a new layer and loading my data into it excluding the area and length fields?  This feature class is in a 10.3.1 Enterprise Geodatabase and I am connected to it using the sa account from SQL Server.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matt,

Strange I have never seen a Point FC containing a Area and Length field. Is it SHAPE.area and SHAPE.len? What enterprise GDB are you using?

MattStull
New Contributor III

I am using the SQL Server (2014) Enterprise Geodatabase, version 10.3.1.  

Here is a screenshot form the Feature Class Properties window on these two fields:

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matt,

What geometry storage type are you using in your GDB?

MattStull
New Contributor III

They are in the Geometry spatial type.  Does that answer your question?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Does the file represent the centroids of some feature?  They could be remnants of their previous incarnation as polygons.

0 Kudos
MattStull
New Contributor III

This might be the case, I will have to check with the person who made it years ago.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This thread got bumped up today... was it indeed the centroids of a polygon? or did you get a chance to check

0 Kudos
MattStull
New Contributor III

Thanks for following up on this Dan.  The person who has worked with this FC for years said that the AREA and LENGTH fields probably came from a joined layer. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mystery solved

0 Kudos