How to create SQL server database primary data file (*.mdf)?

07-10-2010 07:33 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
How to create SQL server database primary data file (*.mdf)?

In case I have a file geodatabase, how to convert it to Sql server database (*.mdf) so that it can be attached to the database server

Please, see the attached images that shows my question
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Jamal,

The .gdb file (file geodatabase) cannot be directly converted to a .mdf file (SQL Server database file).  Instead, create a new geodatabase on the database server, then import or copy and paste the data from the file geodatabase to the geodatabase on the database server.

Regards,

-Kim
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

The .gdb file (file geodatabase) cannot be directly converted to a .mdf file (SQL Server database file).  Instead, create a new geodatabase on the database server, then import or copy and paste the data from the file geodatabase to the geodatabase on the database server.

Regards,

-Kim

Thank you for the answer Kim.

Is this practical?

i don't understand why we cann't add (connect) our file geodatabase to the server directly without the need to have MDF file or even to import the data into a new geodatebase?

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
File geodatabase is an Esri storage format.  It has nothing to do with Microsoft's SQL-Server
database structure.  They are incompatible, in the same way that diesel fuel can't be used
by a gasoline engine.

- V
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
File geodatabase is an Esri storage format.  It has nothing to do with Microsoft's SQL-Server
database structure.  They are incompatible, in the same way that diesel fuel can't be used
by a gasoline engine.

- V

You are right!

from a user point of view, it is much easier for me to just connect the file geodatabase to the server so that many users can edit the data according to the permissions and privileges given.

as the sql server doesn't work this way, we need each to create a new goedatabse on the server then to copy and past the data from our file geodatabase to that created  one on the server! no direct connect can be made!

I'm wondering what should i do if i need to expose my file geodatabse (saved on my hard disk) for edits through the server such that many users can edit this data concurrently, then which solution may ArcGIS offer for this case?

any suggestions?

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos