How to create an attribute for a polygon based on raster value?

Jump to solution
01-31-2017 10:56 AM
RobertTrotter
New Contributor III

Hello, I am guessing this is a simple one, but what I would like to do is overlay a collection of polygons on a raster, and add an attribute to the polygons based on the pixel values within polygon.  I.e. the polygon now includes an attribute describing the maximum/minimum/mean etc pixel value within the polygon.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can use Zonal Statistics as Table and join it back to the original polygons. If it's an integer type, you could also Build Raster Attribute Table of the result of Zonal Statistics, and join that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
RobertTrotter
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta, using the zonal statistics results in a raster, I would like to produce (or retain) the original shapefile, with a new attribute which documents the largest or smallest value within the polygon.  Hoping to find a simple way to do it but perhaps there is not a quick way!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can use Zonal Statistics as Table and join it back to the original polygons. If it's an integer type, you could also Build Raster Attribute Table of the result of Zonal Statistics, and join that.

RobertTrotter
New Contributor III

That seems to have worked, thank you!

0 Kudos