How to copy attributes form the existing layer into the new one?

Jump to solution
06-06-2016 10:56 AM
GrzegorzAnzlik
New Contributor

Hello,

I have created a new polygon shapefile and I would like to copy attributes (the names of the columns without data) from another layer. Is it possibile to use the existing layer as some kind of a template?
Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The question is, does this new polygon feature class/shapefile have polygons in it already?  If no, I would delete it and re-create the empty feature class and import the attribute schema of your choice.  If it does contain polygons, I would do the same thing:  create an empty polygon feature class, import the attribute schema you want, and once that is complete, use the simple data loader to put the existing polygons into the empty feature class you just created.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The question is, does this new polygon feature class/shapefile have polygons in it already?  If no, I would delete it and re-create the empty feature class and import the attribute schema of your choice.  If it does contain polygons, I would do the same thing:  create an empty polygon feature class, import the attribute schema you want, and once that is complete, use the simple data loader to put the existing polygons into the empty feature class you just created.

That should just about do it....
MalgorzataMendela
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for your help, Joe.

0 Kudos